Soccer Moms, more harm than good?

I knew one once, and from her I think they are not giving their kids a fair shack at childhood. My friend is practically raising her children out of the back of a mini van! From dance, to basketball games and all the practices in between, it’s horrible. These kids have little time to just play in the yard, yet alone go do the thing kids normally do to enhance brain growth. Like play with bugs, rocks or climb trees. It’s drive thru after drive thru for meals and on to the next event. I thought this craze was fading, then my girl became a cheerleader this year and I got to meet some of the other cheerleader Moms. A few of the girls are cheerleaders not only for their school, but for other organizations as well! So there is double the practices for them. Then most of them with siblings have a brother or sister playing on a few other sporting teams. Why do some Moms think this is good for their kids? Do you think they go too far? What’s your thoughts on this?
Sometimes our kids are a little over zealous. When my daughter entered high school, her teacher spoke to us[the parents] about our children and how their extracurricular activities can have a negative impact on their grades. My daughter wanted to participate in so many things, I had to 'put my foot down' and limit her activities. We really need to keep a tighter reign on exactly how many programs that they are involved in. Because not only does it impact their grades but it also can have an affect on their health.
@reinydawn (11649)
I guess I was a soccer mom if you put it that way... I didn't have a mini-van, but it sure woulda been nice!!!! I let my two boys play whatever sports they wanted to, participate in any activity they wanted to, and yeah, I carted them all over sometimes because of it. They tried just about everything, but the only thing they ever really stuck with was baseball. They both tried soccer - my oldest didn't do it long. Same with basketball. They both did a short stint with boy scouts. My oldest played an instrument for a long time. I also made sure that they didn't do too many things at one time. One year my youngest played basketball and coached a younger team. That was a hard year because we only had one car and it was hard for him to get everywhere he needed to be. After that he quit playing and just coached the younger boys. I wanted them to experience everything and supported them when they did. Now, they still had plenty of time for riding bikes, rollerblading, getting stitches when they fell in the street, playing Nintendo, all that "normal" kid stuff. I do agree that some parents are obsessed with it and go a bit overboard.