Anyone have a crazy Uncle?

@Chapman15 (1501)
My uncle just told me a story about this wife beater and I thought I'd share it to see if anyone can define this in terms of justice... My uncle was living in Oakland in 2000, and he could hear through the walls of his apartment. Three times a week or so he could hear this wife getting slapped around by her husband followed by yelling. He didn't live in the nicest area at the time, but he heard it for the whole month he'd lived there. One night he came home from the bars, and saw the two outside arguing. The husband was yelling and smacked her in the parking lot in front of the complex. My uncle instantly said something (half from the booze and half from the heart). He basically challenged him to hit someone who could hit back. My uncle is a big guy, linebacker size 240 lbs, and kept egging him on until he took a swing. Little did he know that my uncle would drop him in two punches. He got up and tried to hit him with a brick and my uncle beat him good after that. All of a sudden a police car pulled up, and the cops jumped out grabbing my uncle and throwing him to the ground. He was being cuffed and saw the wife holding the phone crying and talking to her husband. My uncle was never charged with anything, and moved away from that apartment one week later... So, who was just here? Is this how things should work?
@tammyr (5954)
• Etowah, Tennessee
I hope this does not upset any one and of course I do not think it is fair, but I believe the law says that there is a difference between defending ones self( or others) and just betting the @#$% out of some one. My son had a boy going around for weeks saying he was going to whop up on him. my son ignored it untill the boy started saying that he was scared and hiding. My son went to where he always waited before school after the bus got him there. the boy came over, threw the first punch, and my son defended his self After 1-2 punches, though the boy was on the ground and my son was angry and did not stop that made it assult. I hate this but it is another instance where it is always best to keep anger in check. At least your uncle was not charged. They have shown shows here with actors potraying couples fighting and wonder why no one stops to help, or even to call the law and have an officer check it ou? You know that half the time they will work it out in the end you will be the bad guy. I would probally call the law then step up and tell the guy I had call ed and had witness the abuse and he should stop. I may get more than I asked for but I ve had fights before and usually held my own. Maybe the cop jst wanted to calm your uncle down and remove him from the situation. once they knew the whole story, they let him go. Iam glad he was able to get out of the apartment and hope the woman got out of her situation with out severe harm
@Chapman15 (1501)
Yeah, maybe this country teaches apathy in a sense. Many do wish they could do somethiing and few act on it... I guess they had previous domestic disturbances from that couple, and that's why his charges were dropped. Doestn't it seem like the law doesn't always protect the people it's supposed to!?!
@meeoww (1174)
It sucks, doesn't it? Your uncle did what was right, and brave. Unfortunately, it is also the woman who must stand up for herself in these situations. Although she needs to be protected before she gets killed, she will keep herself endangered because she has such a low self image and self esteem. As for me, if a guy's gonna hit me, he'd BETTER knock me out because I'm getting up swingin', and if I can't beat him up... well, let's just say that I have other means of taking care of business. With or without help.
@Chapman15 (1501)
2 for 5 on answering my question! I'm glad that you wouldn't take that kind of treatment! I always have to believe that many of these women were abused or saw their mother abused throughout their lives! Thanks for giving me a real answer!
@kokopelli (4842)
yes, that's sad but it's what's happening. it's better and safe to stay out of anyone's business (especially marital probs), unless your help is sought. i know it's crazy but that's just the way it is.
@Chapman15 (1501)
Yeah, you're right, but is there anyway to have public enforced law? I really don't think it would work, but how cool would it be if my uncle could have yelled "citizens arrest!" and when the guy took a swing at him taken him down!
@kokopelli (4842)
it would be more cool if he just asked the woman first "dya need some help lady?", if she said yes, then he got a valid alibi when questioned later, lol! kidding aside, i agree with you. i guess the laws should give citizens some rights and capability to police.
@Chapman15 (1501)
I guess he could've asked, but he was probably descently intoxicated and usually the thinking skills aren't up to par lol!
@Idlewild (6094)
I only have one uncle and he's far from crazy. But my niece and nephews might argue that I might fit the 'crazy uncle' description. If the straightjacket fits, wear it!
@Chapman15 (1501)
So, would you beat up a wife beater?
@Idlewild (6094)
Hmmm, if the circumtances were right, perhaps. But maybe I'd have to get a bit crazier before attempting something like that.
@Chapman15 (1501)
I think everyone is crazy in their own way! If you aren't, well my friend, I guess you aren't human!
@sunita64 (6470)
I feel everyone is but a bit crazy why talk of others.
@Chapman15 (1501)
huh? You lost me please elaboate!
To me it seems like your uncle did the right thing but the laws aren't always so clear. If it was a cat that he had protected he would havew been in the right yet for trying to protect another human being many would say he should mind his own business. I say to these people what if it was your mom,sister,daughter...then would they feel that way?
@Chapman15 (1501)
That's a good realization you try to give them! I do think it was somewhat his businsess that he had to listen to it through the walls often... When he gets a good buzz too then everything is his business!
@shywolf (4520)
I am so sorry that your Uncle, who was just doing what was right, got thrown down to the ground by the cops. It was very courageous of him to try to help out that poor woman who was being beaten by her husband. I would not say that justice was done here by any means.
@Chapman15 (1501)
Life is unfair, so I guess justice is in the eye of the beholder... Wow, it's not like me to get all philosophical, but I don't think it would change the way he'd handle the situation...