Men And Eating Disorders..Though Focus More On Women

This day and age we hear more about women with eating disorders, but did you know that half the cases reported on involved men? Males are just as susceptible to cultural demands for perfect bodies as women are. These demands take different froms for me. Eating disorders in boys can begin in their desire to be more competitive. Adolescent boys dealing with changes in their bodies are many times beginning to have more interests in sports. In some cases, sports create problems. Consider the many way in which highschool wrestlers have lost weight to allow them to compete in a lighter weight bracket. Motivated by the desire for performance and acheivement, some simply stop eating for a period before a meet's weigh-in. Others exercise in dangerous ways--for example, running while wearing rubber suits. It is a short jump from these behavioral patterns to full-fledges eating disorders. Restriction of food or purging behaviors (or both) can seem to be convienent shortcuts for success. So why do we tend to focus on women with eating disorders more then men? Is there something more expect of women that most aren't aware of? What do you think?
@misskatonic (3726)
There is always a gender bias in everything. Since eating disorders are considered to be an image issue, it's considered 'emasculating' for a man to have a 'woman's problem'. So very few men want the attention for their eating disorders. It's the same reason that steroid issues focus on men when there's a huge problem with female steroid use. Steroids are a 'man's problem'. It's insane how we divide things by gender this way.
I do agree with what you are saying, but I believe with any unhealthy issue instead of just focusing on one gender it should be brought more out in the open that both genders suffer from these problems. I do understand that eating disorders make a man feel less like a man, but I don't think it gives women a much better feeling when most of the focus is being directed at them. But that's just the way the world works, so it's just something I'm gonna have to get use to.