The "Doomsday Clock" has been moved forward another two minutes.....

@James72 (26829)
Australia
Has anyone heard about this clock? I read an article last night about it and find it fascinating! A group of scientists basically placed a clock somewhere and set the time at 11:45. This was first done around 50 odd years ago, starting in 1947. As the world political environment changes as well as the environment itself, the minute hand either is moved closer to 12:00 or further away. The minute handing arriving at 12:00 signifies the end of the world or "Doomsday". The minute hand was moved two minutes forward last week because of rising political tensions regarding nuclear weapons and also because of the increase in the effects of global warming. The time on the clock now sits at 11:55; only five minutes from "Doomsday". The minute hand has moved back and forth over the last few decades and the closest it has ever been to "Doomsday" was 11:58. This was during the height of the tensions between the USA and Russia when nuclear war seemed imminent. The "Doomsday Clock" has been adjusted only 17 times since 1947, including the most recent adjustment in February 2002 after 9/11. The Board that determines the adjustments includes 18 Nobel Laureates. Stephen Hawking is one of them..... Interesting way to monitor things yes?
@mari61960 (4895)
I've heard about but never really have followed it. I'm sure there are millions of people that have never even heard of it. I think maybe if more people were made aware of it, the more we could all work to make changes. For some reason you just don't hear about it all that often. It is very interesting, kind of scary though once you start to really think about it. It seems to make perfect sense to me.
@James72 (26829)
I had heard a reference to it many years ago but to be honest, never followed up on finding out more at the time. I guess that given it has only been adjusted 17 times in 60 years it doesn't attract the media's attention so often. I agree that it should be promoted more. Prevention is the key. Thanks for responding.