Am I Old Fashion

@minerc (1373)
My kids are teenagers, and I believe the way my parents did, there first Car will be bought by them, College better get Good Grades in High School and get a Scholarship. I think they would respect and take care of there vehicle better, if it was there blood sweat and tears that went into it. If they slack in High School then would they really be So much better in College. Am I wrong for feeling raising my Kids this way?
@mirage108 (3403)
I agree wih you as if they have to buy the items they want they will treat that item differently. they need to earn it not have it given to them. I had a lot when I was a kid and I earned it all. my parrents might have made a loan for it but I ended up having to pay my parrents back just like a loan from the bank. that is nothing more than teaching responsibility and it is not old fashion
@minerc (1373)
Thank's, It worked for me too, and I just want to be sure that I am doing right, My sister disagree's with me totally so Its good to have different out looks on it.
@shorva (923)
i don't think it's old fashion at all. i strongly believe that they should earn it. it's a good way to teach young people right now that you have to work hard to earn something nice like a car. and it's true that in this way, you're also teaching them to value and take care of something that they worked hard for. there should be more parents like you!!!
@minerc (1373)
Thank You, glad to see other's on the same page as I am.
@wahmbuddy (391)
I'm glad to hear some other parents still have these values and want to instill them in their kids. So often you hear of parents rushing out to my the child their first car, then they insure it and give them a gas allowance. Geez! What does that teach the teen? I was not even allowed to "learn" on my parents vehicles. I bought my first car on my own when I was 15, and then would take my mom so she could teach me to drive in it until I turned 16...and I never would have dared ask for gas money - LOL. They were very strict, but I'm so glad for it now as I have a real worth ethic and I know the value of a dollar Job well done - Good for you!!
i don't think you're old fashioned. i bought 1/2 of my first car and my dad paid for 1/2. i don't know about college because i always hated school and i dropped out. i did get my GED, but i dont think i'll be going back to school. but i didn't have a college fund growing up so i probably would've had to get a scholarship too if i wanted to go to college or get a grant or student loan. i loved my car more knowing that i paid for 1/2 of it. i had to work for it and it took a long time. i don't think you are wrong for raising your kids this way.