Water Shortage - have you experienced it or do you fear it

New Zealand
The world suffers from a surplus of water in some areas (floods) and drought in other areas. Have you experienced water shortage? Do share with us your experience in your country.
I had experiences of water shortages in the Philippines. There was a time that there was a set schedule on how many hours you can have access to running water. So we all had to invest on huge plastic containers in order to store our water needs for the day (shower, cooking, drinking and etc). I also saw people lining up to the nearest water pump for more than 2 hours just to get water. It is an experience and sight that I do not want to see again in my lifetime.
• New Zealand
It can be very very difficult. did you have no rain at all? Or is it a failure of the water supply system?
• New Zealand
We are experiencing climate change. Water continues to pour down in abundance from the clouds in some areas and scantily in others. Deforestation, run-offs and other things lead to the lowering of the water table. In the rush towards privatisation, a lot of governments have abdicated on the responsibility of providing the citizens with consistent potable water. These private companies are profit driven and not service driven. We will see a consolidation in the hands of multinationals, the water supply companies - within our lifetimes. Then each country - for example the Philippines will not have control of the water supply but some faceless multinational corporation. For example, the Manila water supply is controlled by two Corporations - one owned by the Lopez family, the other by the Ayalas. Every country has more or less of this. Therein lies our true water insecurity.
well i've been facing this problem frm last few days...its just a bad situation we have to think while washing hands.,, taking bath or even going to toilet also...just an irritating situation,..
• New Zealand
Is this because of the shortage of water in your area, or because of a distribution problem?
@nw1911guy (1134)
Where I live, water shortage isn't really an issue. I mean it rains pretty much year around. They may say we are low on water here, but it's really not a huge deal.
• New Zealand
You are indeed fortunate. I have seen parts of India, China, Africa and south America where water is really an issue. And with all this global climate change happening, I am hearing that water is one of our least secure resources.
@vbcoder (196)
water shortage is bad. i will choose lack of electricity over lack of water. without water, you can't do many things. you can't cook, you can't clean, and the worst, you can't take a bath!
@ashjoe76 (1434)
Yes, I have experienced it partially, when I visited a friend in Chennai at the height of summer. There was never enough water to take a bath, and that was the first thing you felt like all through the day when you can't stand the heat. We had to wake up at 4 in the morning, go to a public tap and wait in queue to get a bucketful of water, with whoich we had to manage our ablutions. To drink, we had to buy mineral water, not just because we could afford the big prize, but because there wasno other choice.