Do you chocolates will kill a dog?

@sripriya (450)
United States
February 9, 2007 10:45am CST
I have heard that chocolates can kill a dog because it is poisonous to them.
3 people like this
16 responses
@jan135 (537)
• Australia
20 Feb 07
Chocolates are not the only things that are bad for dogs, although chocolate is one of the worst. Here is a website with all the things you should not feed your dog. http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/badfoodlist/html
@jan135 (537)
• Australia
20 Feb 07
Sorry I made a boob I put a slash where there should have been a dot. I cannot copy and paste until I reach 500 posts. The website is: http://mooreshaven.com/pets/dogs/safety/badfoodlist.html
1 person likes this
@sherred (123)
• Philippines
20 Feb 07
I dont think so my dog eats chocolate but until he lives for 8 years... its in the immunity of the dog....
1 person likes this
@lisa101 (1362)
• United States
19 Feb 07
I dont think it would kill them. If you look at some of the things a dog will eat then why not chocolate. I just think they dont like it because i have seen some dogs walk away from it.
1 person likes this
@Eskimo (2317)
9 Feb 07
The main problem with most chocolate is theobromine which is poisonous to dogs, probably other animals as well, I think that dark (plain) chocolate has a higher amount of theobromine than milk chocolate. You can get chocolate made especially for dogs which is perfectly harmless ('Good Boy' doggy chocolate being one which can be bought in most pet shops).
1 person likes this
• Philippines
22 Feb 07
yeah its true. i forgot what chemical it is found in chocolates that's poisonous to dogs. but i think there was a study about it that proves this.
@brimia (6582)
• United States
22 Feb 07
It's not good for them but I've heard of dogs eating an entire bag of chocolate and just getting a little sick.
• United States
20 Feb 07
chocolate can kill dogs. it can kill birds too. i don't know if it can kill cats. rule of thumb, keep it to yourself! i don't know exactly what's in the stuff.
@lisa101 (1362)
• United States
19 Feb 07
I dont think it would kill them. If you look at some of the things a dog will eat then why not chocolate. I just think they dont like it because i have seen some dogs walk away from it.
• Philippines
19 Feb 07
Yep chocolates are bad for dogs...you can make them taste a little of it but make sure that you don't feed your dog chocolates everyday or even give your dog one whole bar...sometimes I let my dogs eat a small piece of chocolate but i only do it like once or twice a year...
@xabimaru (340)
• Malaysia
15 Feb 07
Are you sure chocolates can kill dogs? This will be very dangerous and for sure all the dogs out there will scare the living of them. Poor dogs. Can anyone tell me what actually happened in dogs which eventualy kill them if they eat choclates??
• United States
15 Feb 07
It is very toxic and is espicially dangerous to small dogs because even a small amount that you may drop without even noticing can harm them. I have chihuahuas so I am very careful when kids are around eating chocolate.
• India
14 Feb 07
You will probably have to consult a expert to know right answer.
@anup12 (4178)
• India
14 Feb 07
I do not think that giving dog a chocolate is a good thing.After all each animal has its own food habitats and that is the reason most of them will have problems if they are given some unwarranted food which is not usitable to him.
@neethucv (51)
• India
14 Feb 07
No i dont think so it is true. I m hearing this fact for the first time...
• Canada
9 Feb 07
Yes chocolate is poisonous to dogs and it can be fetal. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is toxic to dogs. The amount of theobromine is different depending of the type of chocolate. If a dog eats chocolate and gets poisioned (it depends on the amount of chocolate, the type of chocolate, and the dogs size) it might experience vomiting, diarrhea, excess urination, seizures, irregular heartbeat and coma. Very scary, poor dogs.
@PoeTalker (715)
• United States
9 Feb 07
Dogs are allergic to chocolate products, cats are as well. Every dog has a different tolerence and depending on what that is it could either make them sick or cause fatality. My uncles labrador retreive ate a entire big bag of M&Ms and never even threw up... wheras I have heard horror storeies about dogs eating candy bars and dying. It really depends. Just try to keep things that are hazardous to your pets life away from their reach and all should be well.