Do you have free to air as well as cable TV in your country?

@14missy (3185)
Australia
I most part of Australia we have 4 or 5 free to air channels and then can subscribe to cable TV for a fairly hefty fee (around $80/month depending on what stations you choose to subscribe to) What is the television situation like where you live?
@babystar1 (4235)
We have to pay for all our cable tv. it cost me 49 dollars a monthfor 72 channels this does not include HBO, Showtime this is extra if you want them.The cable goes up every year.
@14missy (3185)
Do you have free to air channels as well?
We have pretty much the same thing in the US. Depending where you live there are 3 or 4 free stations (we call them "broadcast") but the reception can be pretty bad. The cable stations carry these broadcast stations also in their "basic" package. Where I live, the basic package costs about $45 a month and has about 60 channels, but no movie channels (like HBO), or commercial free channels. Those are added on for an extra charge.
@14missy (3185)
It sounds like these tV people are making good money everywhere. Our movie channels are an extra also. At least they don't have as many commercials.
I live in the USA. I live so far out, that they don't have cable. I use Direct satelite. It is around $50. for a basic nothings. All reruns over and over. Free channels are only around 3.
@14missy (3185)
Most of the time you aren't missing too much on TV anyway...
I am also in Australia; there are days it feels like a rip off to have to pay money to watch something decent on tv. We started on the basic Foxtel package (our pay tv supplier) but when the sci fi channel started, we had to up grade our service.
@14missy (3185)
True the decent shows always take longer to go to free to air.