Politics And Positive Thinking??

Can it be true that every government is 'evil' or only selfish and self seeking? I mean sure, the pencils, pens and staplers they take home from work may be bigger than the ones others take home from work.. And I'm not saying it's ok to do so, or that I do! But people do!! Does that mean they are totally evil and have no true concerns for the world? No I think we've been sold a bill of goods.. Sure there's differnt ranges in the selfish and non selfishly motivated.. But isn't it true that the political parties demonize each other, for the sake of getting votes? But really, instead of one party being 'good' and another, being 'evil' isn't it more true that they merely have differing concerns? And perhaps way of looking at the world? Common sense tells me that like most people, it's a blend of 'right' and 'wrong'.. and there's never just one side to an argument or issue..
@Destiny007 (5820)
Yes, we have been sold a bill of goods. It happens every election year. We constantly hear talk of bipartisanship, yet the first thing that happens is both parties immediately try to get the upper hand. While they should be taking care of the country's business they are instead to busy fighting each other to be of much use at all. The first priority should be to look after our country's safety and security, instead of pointing fingers and making recriminations. This Iraq issue has become a political football, and is a perfect example of what I mean. If our government would have paid attention, heeded the warnings, and took the necessary steps, then 9-11 could have been avoided. The signs were all there, we had been attacked in the past, and we knew who was responsible. This was before Bush even came to office. 9-11 did not occur because of anything that Bush did while he was in office, it happened because of events that go back many years. Our government was so busy fighting amongst itself, that it either just didn't pay attention, or wasn't concerned with the threat. We were lulled into a false sense of security. All the attacks for many years were aimed at other countries, and I can't recall how many times we were told it was just a matter of time, but it was a lot. The two parties have their extremes, the far left is just about socialist in it's belief's, while the far right is downright draconian in theirs. Both ends want to dictate how we live and what freedoms we are allowed. Our best bet is somewhere in the middle, and then there are no guarantees. While I do support Bush in that I think we are better off fighting the terrorists in Iraq rather than here, I do have a major problem with aspects of that Homeland Security that he formed. Many of our rights and freedoms have been put at risk due to that, and that is never acceptable. Someone once said something about "If you give up liberty for the sake of security, then you deserve neither liberty or security" or words to that effect. I do believe it was one of the founding fathers. Regardless of who it was, it still holds true today.
yeh that was ben franklin who said that - 'those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety'. i like that quote
@4ftfingers (1313)
i think they are only evil if they decieve people to follow in their cause, which politicians invariably do. it jsut depends to what degree you decieve. there's only giving the good points to a policy, and then there's going to the extreme of completely lying to the people. that is evil, especially if you promote fear to get the reaction you want.
Yes, I'm thinking lots of that goes on nowadays..
@Anniedup (3652)
• Richards Bay, South Africa
You summed it up well. My husband always says there are three sides to a argument, your side my side and the right side, and the right side is a blend of the two side's common sense
Boy is that ever true!! I like that saying.. have to remember it!
@Lakota12 (42681)
no a argument is not one sided but why call one side evil and one side bad? It isnt evil to think different. that makes us just different. and if they take some one elses property they are theives! I just think of each side good or bad, I beleive they all think close to the same way they just make their statements differ
Political parties have changed so much over the years at first the people who were in them wer to make the country better now they use it to get father ahead in life or to advance ther own career or agenda. They no longer serve the public but who ever has the most money for them. Most people after they leave office have companies or a buisness like a lobbiest ready to go when they are done. They are not there to serve the public or to collect a paycheck any more the real money comes to them when they leave office. So it is no wonder that they make the others seem evil or they sling mud from the past at each other. Can you remeber what the real issues of an election were or what was said about the candidates more.
Your post reminded me of how they get their full pay after they retire.. and how some have said if instead they retired on social security, they'd soon enough fix it.. I guess what I wonder is.. are they more evil or bad intentioned than the 'rest of us'? Or would most of us, be the same in their shoes (and opportunities) some better, some worse..