the downfall of extreme makeover

@mrsbrian (1951)
anyone watch the show extreme makeover? i have always loved the show untill i found out some info. a few months back the show came to my state a few towns over and of course they worked there magic of takeing a poor family and tearing down there old house and building them a new one with all the frills,and of course the family was extatic,UNTILL---lights and cameras gone the city arrives to re evaluate your taxes and all the other bills start coming---------- moral of the story they had to let the house go as the bills were to much for them to pay. now how is this helping anyone and i wonder how any of the others they have helped out have turned out.
I've always wondered that. I know I've seen many very poor families end up with beautiful places but have often wondered HOW they pay the taxes now on literal "mansions". Even if they don't have house payments (most don't because the show often pays off the house they had and builds their new one) the taxes alone can be as much, or more for a family who's poverty level or lower income. Sometimes you don't see the whole picture when the media is involved for sure!
@mrsbrian (1951)
yes if you on a limited income it can be tuff, i guess things like higher taxs and maby if you just had electric before and now you have gas and electricand whatever else may come with it it may tend to be bit to much, i guess if you intend to help the low income than you should make it better not worse
@Munira (484)
In the US, people do get taxed for gifts. When Oprah gave her audience members cars, they had to pay taxes for the cars.
@tammyr (5954)
• Etowah, Tennessee
I to now wonder about these families. I will try to check into this more. thank you for the heads up. I also heard that when Oprah gave away all those cars it cause a lot of problems as people could not pay the taxes. Sometimes the help we give does not really help, so be careful how you help others!
Wow...I knew it was too good to be true...I really like watching that show, but I had a hard time believing that these people got all that stuff for nothing. Some of them get big fat checks to pay off debts or to pay for school, are those for real? Or they'll pay the utility bills for awhile, and give them new cars. I'd love to know more about what happens to these folks..they should do follow up shows, like are these people taking care of their new homes? Or are they trashing them? Do they still live in them? How's their social lives after getting all that stuff? Now you've peaked my curiosity even more. Thanks for the info!