STROKE SYMPTOMS

@MySpot (2602)
You may have seen this before, but it's an excellent reminder of what to do and what to look for... A friend of mine sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. It only takes a minute to read this. . A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke . . totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough. Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions: RECOGNIZING A STROKE ~ Remember The 1st Three Letters...S.T.R. S * Ask the individual to SMILE. T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today) R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS. NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
@CORDALE (868)
I will keep this close by
@JoyfulOne (6241)
Thank you for putting up this handy reference about stroke symptoms! Hopefully, this will be a help to many people who don't know how to recognize one, or what to do if they suspect that a loved one might have had one. Thanks to this being tagged, it will be easy for anyone to type in 'stroke symptoms' and they can find out real quick and easy what to do. As a nurse, I feel it's important for this information to be out there for everybody, thank you for sharing this with others.