Should children under 16 have cell phones, pagers, and labtops?

It is bad enough that children are growing up too fast nowadays, and the media does not help any, so should children have cell phones? I think not. I think children are children and they need to be treated as such. When my brother and I were children, and this was not too long ago, we did not have cell phones. If we had to contact our parents at school, we went to the front office. Other than that, we did not go. It was inappropriate. It seems like today, people cannot live without technology and I think that that is wrong. Time used to go by so slowly, but thanks to technology, we seem to be missing all of that time.
My 10 year old sister has a cellphone, a phone in her room, 3 different gaming consols, her own computer ( thankfully its located in the living room where my parents can monitor that) portable dvd player, and im sure she has more. Shes so plugged in she cant think streight. I dont see the need for a 10 year old to have a cellphone, even if the phone was free and you can add it onto your plan, or her own computer, whats wrong with the family computer? A portable dvd player? Come on, we read in the car, she watches movies. Ect. I dont see the need for it all. Its like a waste to me. Shes allready lost the cell phone 3 times and its had to be replaced. Shes broken one dvd player and her dad got her a new one. Granted there are 13 years between us. But really, what is the point in a little kid having all that stuff? She goes to a friends house, why cant she use their phone? Its really too much. I dont plan on letting my son have anything like that. The only thing that i might let him have is a dvd player for car trips over 300 miles. He can wait untill hes old enough to get a job to have his own computer and cellphone. When he can afford to pay for the cellphone and the minutes, and when he can afford to get his own computer. Untill then hes stuck using the ones we have in the house.
Your sister needs to unplug herself.
@msqtech (15226)
she is spoiled and disconnected it will cause problems.
My mother only let us have a Nintendo and Sega system as children, but nothing else. I did not get my first cell phone until I was about 17 years of age, and even then I only used it for major emergencies. Other than that, I never used it. I have one now and it is the same way, sure I play games on it once in a while, but I would be doing something more meaningful than being on the phone all of the time. When I was a child, my mother had me in dance classes and sports. I think all children should be involved in dance, instrument lessons, or sports.
@sunnypub (2130)
Well my daughter will not have a cell phone until she is old enough to go places without adult supervision. I just don't see a need for one before that time. If she gets sick at school now, she goes to the office. I mean she needs permission to leave, so having a cell phone wouldn't do nay good anyways. As for pagers, I don't think she will ever have one of those unless it comes with a ob she does. I mean, with cell phones I don't really see the need for pagers anymore. My daughter does have a laptop. I bought her one for Christmas. I mean, she was using my old computer but it was really ancient and it was time for a new one. I really thought about whether I should get another desktop or a laptop and decided on the laptop because of the mobility. She can take it with her wehn she goes to spend the night at a friends house, if we are traveling she can watch movies, and she can use it anywhere in the house. She is 9 and I don't think she is too young for it. I mean she has to use the internet for a lot of her homework, and in today's world computers and the internet are huge. I think it is best to learn about them when they are young. She mostly uses it to play games at kid friendly sites like disney.com, postopia.com, and barbie.com. I do regualte how much time she spends on it and we do constantly go over the rules and how to maintain it, but it is helping with her typing skills as well as thinking skills, and coordination.
Well, the labtop for schoolwork and things are okay, and I can see that need arising, but the cell phones are too much for me.
@msqtech (15226)
I dont think so
Seriously, if children do not have a job or money for a cell phone bill, they should not have a cell phone. Cell phones are not cheap, they cost money. I have to earn my cell phone, I have to work and I have to do things for my family to keep my cell phone.
well i just recently got my first cell phone, when i got my license. i think that is a good thing parents should do. whats the point of having a cell phone when you cant go anywhere? i dont think people even use house phones anymore. i dont see how people need to constantly be on cells. i rarely talk to friends on mine, because i have other ways like myspace, and i see them enough that i dont need to actually call them and waste everyones money. usually i just use it if im calling my parents so say where im at, where im going and so forth. as for pagers, to be honest, i wasnt aware that people still used them. i thought cell phones more or less made them non-existant. Labtops i think any age can have as long as there is NO internet hooked up on them. you never know what someone would look up when the parents arent looking. but if you got them so they can type reports or writing assignments or stories or whatever, that would be fine. i am currently asking my parents to buy me a lap top so i can go to my room where it is nice and quiet and write my stories, because the only computer in the house is in like the most noisy room. so id rather have the quiet peace of my own room. wrapped in blankets on my bed or nook or whatever. i hate seeing kids like 12 years walking round with cell phones. it drives me crazy!! why would someone that young need a cell phone? do the parents not realize that they are wasting their money? i think phones only become important when the person gets their license. so they can keep in touch, let the parent know location, and in case of emergency.
That is how I feel, why do children need cell phones?
@vanities (11410)
• Davao, Philippines
i think if we can afford to buy one for them why not..its advantageous anyway..you can easily call them wherever they are and feel safe knowing their whereabouts..but sometimes its disadvatageous also esp..on computers or laptops..you know the net thing about chatting now..
Not when the child is in school that cell phone is not an advantage. I am a sub and I am a tutor and I can tell you right now that I cannot stand it when children bring cell phones into the classroom and they do not have the sense enough to turn them off before coming into class. Not just that, but they want to talk all of the time. You know how much money the bill can come to. Even having the family plan is not enough. The labtops I am not too concerned with, but the cell phones are a pain.
@emeraldisle (13145)
I can't see why a kid needs to have a cellphone. The lap top I could understand since so many schools are requiring kids to have a computer and/or internet access but a cellphone is a whole other story. As you pointed out there are plenty of ways for them to get in contact with parents and for parents to get in touch with them. Why would they need one in school? If they are over at a friends the friends should have a phone. If they are at the mall there are pay phones there. They don't need a cell phone. They can talk with their friends at home and that should be enough for them.
In most all public and private schools children are not allowed to have cell phones.