Tips for speeding Housecleaning

@LovingIt (5398)
Give me your tips for getting the housecleaning done fast so you can get on MyLot faster!
@pharper (15)
Garbage: If the container will not be used for very messy garbage, put several empty garbage bags at the bottom of the container. Then, when you pull out the full bag, you have an empty one waiting to be used. Dirty Dishes: If you like to eat often in areas other then your kitchen area, leave a tray large enough to hold a few glass's and plates in an unobtrustive location nearby. This is especially usefull if you have a computer room or home office den on another level of the house. Transporting your dishes to the kitchen is much easier this way. Kitchen Counters: Buy a container of those new Clorax (or other brand) wipes. Each time you do dishes, or cook, wipe down your counters with a clean wipe. This keeps bacteria from building up, as well as preventing stains, etc. This is a fast and easy way to be pro-active in the kitchen. Scrub that Tub: If your doing a major scrub on a tub, apply whatever cleaning agent you prefer, and go do another chore for 10 minutes. When you return to the tub, it will be a snap to clean quickly. Got Kids?: If you children are old enough to do small chores, assign each child a minor chore. Each child will do this chore for 7 days. Each week, rotate the chores, so the children learn to do different chores.
@LovingIt (5398)
You are good!!! Will you come clean my house? LOL
If there are more then 2 people using the tub. Cleaning after use will be better. My friend has 5 people in the house. they each clean the tub after each shower. I find it easy to clean the tub daily then weekly. Soft scrub and a sponge and it tis clean.
@MellieC (783)
oh wow! great tips!
@bhbirdie6 (1769)
I set a timer for a set time say thirty minutes. And then I rush around and clean as much as I can as fast as I possibly can. And then when the thirty minutes is done I usually have so much motivation and adrenaline running that I'm able to finish off what I didn't finish in the first thirty minutes very quickly.
Now that's an idea I must just try! I've noticed that I will sometimes do chores I wasn't planning on doing, if I'm already up and around.
my daughter does this for her room. 10 minutes and she is not doing anymore. LOL she has it made. I always tidy her room and closet. She comes home from school and I hear thankyou mom. But saturday forget it. Clean is gone..
@LovingIt (5398)
That's a good idea. I sometimes try that when I'm on the computer in 20 minute increments -- clean 20, computer 20, but then I'm bad to go over my 20 on the computer.
@maddog108 (3440)
ok open a doors and let the wind sweep your floor.eat at freinds places so theres no dishes.and when it rains put your clothes on the line for a wash lol
@LovingIt (5398)
Hey I like those ideas. LOL
@maddog108 (3440)
this method of cleaning has been practised for many years my singe males so i know it works lol
@LovingIt (5398)
LOL. It may be practiced by this single female before long. This house has got to be cleaned somehow. haha! Maybe the wind will at least blow the cat and dog hairs out of the house. I already use paper plates to eat on and cook everything in the microwave -- hadn't thought of eating at a friends house though -- that is GOOD!!!
When I first got married it was the hardest thing for me to keep up with for some reason. I also have three dogs (who are inside/ouside dogs). So let me first say that I don't have as much as most to take care of. *and props to you that do* A while passed and I decided I needed help with figuring out an effortless way to do it all. It didn't help that I'm too picky for my own good when it comes to cleanliness...so I was battling against myself. Then I became a Flybaby. Some of you may know EXACTLY what I am talking about:) It was a beautiful thing! With the site's help and getting in a rountine my house is always spotless and orderly (which I NEVER thought possible). Head to www.flylady.net - it is a Godsend! Oh yeah, and a few cleaning (items) I could never live without: 1. The Freshbrush toilet brush - It uses flushable pads and hangs on the side off the toilet . It's out of sight when you aren't using it, and there are no nasty germs lingering about like there would be with a regular one. 2. Clorox Bathroom Cleaner with teflon - yes, teflon! It really does work! It's not like you don't have to clean your sinks, toilet and showers enought to begin with...*sigh* The teflon acts the same way it soes on your pots and pans...it repels dirt (unfortunately nor forever) and works more eficciently than regular batroom cleaners. 3. OF course the ever-popular swiffer - we have mainly hardwood floors, so this is an invaluable tool between regular cleanings. 4. Old toothbrushes (for cleaning hard to get places, i.e. around sink fixtures) Self explanatory. 5. An ostrich-down feather duster - the other dusters like lamb's wool, synthetic materials, tacky dyed chicken feathers just dont work...the ostrich-down feathers attract dust, holding it until you shake it free to vacuum later. I won't keep you any longer, lol - check out the site - it might just be what you are looking for! Take care! :)
sorry about my typos, i am the typo queen, lol
I like it so far I have to get deeper in the am. Thanks for the link.
@LovingIt (5398)
YIKES!!!! Not the FLYLADY!!! She scares me! She's bossy. LOL. I tried her several years ago but I was working then. She kept sending me all of these emails telling me to do things. I didn't have time to read her emails much less do the stuff. haha!! I'm unemployed right now though, so I might give her a try again (but what happens if I tell her no, will she hurt me? haha)
I clean certain things on certain days so I don't put in more than an hour a day. (this is because I home school, own two businesses, have a baby and another one on the way!) I do dishes every day after dinner, the house gets vaccumed everyday, Saturdays are dusting and the bathrooms. Laundry is a constant thing, sweeping the kitchen is twice a days and mopping is once a week. My 8 year old helps a lot.
@LovingIt (5398)
Wow! You are one busy person and you still have time for MyLot! I wish I could be that organized.
Every day is scheduled, it's kind of obsessive actually.
@LovingIt (5398)
I need to do that!
Get someone else to do it!
k come help me clean then
Where the heck are you. I'm not good at it but your mess has got to be better than mine!!!
i clean my toilet every day about 3 times. This helps to keep the bathroom fresh and clean. I clean the tub when I see the ring around it. I love my tub sparkling white. Soft scrub and a sponge in the tub helps. I clean my kitchen before bed everynight so this is easy. I don't put food in my garbage can at all. I use the supermarket bags. I place food in them. They go out the same night. this helps save the smells from the home. keeps rodents away. i wash clothes as soon as I get one load. this helps to keep down the large wash days. I was pillows one day. comforters another. Sheets daily. I make my bed when I get up. This helps to keep the room tidy. I mop everyday. this helps me from getting sick. I clean my micro wave when needed. I have a splash cover. I clean the fridge at least 2 times a month. whe I wash my clothes I place them on hangers,hang out doors and they go straight to the closet. Less work later.etc
@LovingIt (5398)
Those are all really good tips. Thanks!
Thanks very much.
I try to do atleast 1 major thing everyday & straighten up everythign else like the living room, the dishes get done almost every night after I get the kids to bed, but it seems like no matter if I clean 8 hours a day the house is still wrecked...... My hubby & 4.5 yr old are partly to blame tho, men ugh... do they all have a problem with contributing to keeping things clean?
@LovingIt (5398)
I know what you mean. It's just a never ending process. I get soooooo tired of it.
@chebel82 (417)
try to have everything done, or prepared the night before, or do what i do li here li ther on mylot throughout the day
@LovingIt (5398)
This is helpful. Thank you for answering.
housework is endless i meet myself coming back everyday lololol, I try to routine myself but with 6 kids and i look after a 3 year old... it doesnt work out well lol
@LovingIt (5398)
YIKES!!! Kids are the only thing in the world messier than cats. I have two grandchildren and when they come to visit they can turn my house upside down in 1 minute flat. haha!! I thought I had problems with a houseful of cats -- with that many kids, I think I'd just have to totally give up. LOL.
Water itself is the best cleaning agent. I am not saying not to use cleaners but if you have something on the stove or counter or floor, put some water on it and clean something else and then go back and wipe that spot and it will likely clean very easily.
@LovingIt (5398)
That's a great tip! Thanks.
@rlporter (515)
Oh, oh- my favorite topic (seriously). I clean everyday, only b/c I love it so much but here are some speedy tips... -Turn on music, leave the T.V. off -Set the timer for 30 min. -Make your bed first (it always makes the biggest difference) -Put things away as soon as your done (saves a TON of time later) -Use vinegar/water solution so you can dust,clean mirrors, and wipe surfaces all at once -Designate a day of the week for each room -Always "tidy up" before going to bed and have dishes done, this is always a bid relief in the morning -Save the floors until the weekend unless company is coming over. If mopping the floors, run the mop over the baseboards too. -Keep it up so that it makes it esier (and faster) every week -If you have kids, make them help!! They will actually love it. If you have a husband, make him help. He won't love it, but if he gives you a hard time pile all of his dirty clothes under his pillow, leave all of his dishes on one side of the sink, and serve peanut butter and jelly every night until he asks, "What's up?" Tell him you're on vacation. :) (It only took my husband 2 days before he realized what was up, now he does the laundry and dishes w/o me asking.) Hope this helps! Have fun cleaning! :)
@LovingIt (5398)
Thank you! Those are really good suggestions. How do you make the vinegar/water solution or is this something you buy? I don't have a husband. Since he's already trained and all, can I borrow yours?
@mcc371 (918)
I have a full time work at home job. My office is in my bedroom. I am married to a farmer, we have three teens. My time is very limited and often our home stays in a mess. I have doled out chores like the trash, wash your own clothes, taking turns on dishes, and cleaning bathrooms. Each week I make alist and we all Pitch in and do different cleaning jobs. My hubbys cleaning job in the house he likes is vacuuming..go figure. Anyway, I do cooking once every two weeks on weekends and freeze everything. My hubby comes home for lunch this saves us money from us going out to eat since even though I am home I am always on the phone taking care of business. I can't think of anything really good that would help save lots of time or how to organize chores as I have to go with the flow that each days brings and just work at it.
@LovingIt (5398)
Thanks for those suggestions. What kind of work at home job do you have? I'm looking for a full-time one.
@atjustin (207)
get a few people to help you.
@psmohan (1879)
daily carry out some cleaning instead of postponing to week end. This will ensure that the dirt does not accumulate.
@mrcobstah (233)
Hire a maid or sell the house! :)
@LovingIt (5398)
I can't afford a maid. If it weren't for the fact that I'd be homeless and not have a place to plug in my computer the latter might be a good deal. LOL
You can build shelter next to a library, and go there to plug your computer in, use the restroom, and the water fountain. For money you would dress up a bit and while people are using the computers you would charge them. Be discreet though so you don't get caught.
@LovingIt (5398)
Hey, I like you. You must be related to me. haha!
@Catmadam (95)
I don't know. I'm the world's slowest housekeeper. I hope somebody gives you some good ideas. Right now, speaking of such. My catboxes have to be cleaned. Oh yuckie.
@kiwidipa (2854)
my response has to be get everyone involved, unless you are living alone, then, do some here and some there....I usually wait until I need a break from the computer and then clean, and then get back on............i dunno just a thought
@LovingIt (5398)
I live alone. My house wouldn't be that bad to clean except that I have a house full of animal and animal hair everywhere, plus the fact that they chase each other around and knock things over and make a mess. I can't get them to get involved and help me clean up either. Maybe I can get Catmadam to come clean my litter boxes though since she seems to enjoy it. LOL
@easy123 (1486)
i am work my office in front of my home than my house front i always clen and do not dust enter my home vecum clenar is my home i elargy in dust than we are clen my home and office
@HallE2386 (341)
haha this may sound funny...but i really needed to clean my shower...and i hate doing it...so i was going to take a shower...so what i did was i sprayed down my shower with my shower cleaner...and than i turned on the hot water got in the shower to take my shower...and while i was taking a shower...i use the shower head to rinse off the cleaner...for spots i couldnt get with the shower head..i just took a wash cloth and wiped it down...it was really funny...my husband thought i was weird...but hey..i did two tasks at once!!=)
@LovingIt (5398)
It's always a good idea when you can do two things at the same time!
yes it def. is!!=)
I used to have a game with my kids, I would put each job on pieces of paper and fold them and put them in a hat and we all would take turns picking one til they were all gone then we all went and did our jobs we would be done in about 1/2 hour. plus there was no fighting that way of who was doing what
@daxdax (140)
• Finland
Sounds like a great way to motivate your kids and yourself. The excitement that comes when you might get the easiest job will do miracles I assume. Well, this way is alot better than telling your kids what to do and then sit down on the couch yourself, as my parents did in the past.
@LovingIt (5398)
That's a good idea for getting kids to participate. I'll have to suggest that to my daughter.
@sambosch (844)
First of all dont make a mess then u will require less cleaning. For this keep the things at a wright place and take some efforts to arrange them so that they dont become hectic in the future. I try to do this but i dont live alone so usually other members of my family do keep things here and there but they also clean the house.
@LovingIt (5398)
Thanks for the suggestion. My pets seem to be my biggest housecleaning challenge. I have hair to clean up and litter boxes to clean, not to mention scattered food, etc. Unfortunately, no matter how much I nag them, these animals just don't help a lot with the cleaning.
@sambosch (844)
Oh! you got pets. That must be really a hectic job. I dont like pets much. If you really dont get time then you can take help from a friend who loves pets and can take care of yours.