How do you combat lould and mildew?

@seamonkey (1981)
Ireland
March 6, 2007 6:16am CST
I live in a damp climate (Ireland) and we don't have central heating. Our upstairs bedromms, despite leaving the windows open and turning on the heat in the evenings and thorugh the night, are very susceptible to mould. We have pulled our furniture well away from the walls, yet it continues to collect. I find myself scrubbing the walls with a very stong bleach solution several times a month (which tends to make me feel quite sick). Is there a better way to deal with mould?
3 people like this
7 responses
• Ireland
24 Mar 07
I had a problem with mildew in my last house. We had bottled gas central heating and I think this caused quite a lot of it. I bought a dehumidifier and kept it running constantly during the winter and I kept a couple of the windows open in the summer. I also opened all the wardrobe doors when I first noticed the problem so that the moisture would be dried up. Anytime I buy large packages that have selica gel in them, I save the gel and put it into the presses and drawers. You can also buy this on eBay.
2 people like this
@peavey (16913)
• United States
6 Mar 07
Since the air is humid, opening the windows may make it worse. You need to concentrate on absorbing the humidity that's in your home without allowing any more to enter, so keep the windows closed. TO absorb the moisture, can you use a dessicant like silica gel like this: http://www.dehumidify.com/ ? Or you may need to buy an electric dehumidifier.
@seamonkey (1981)
• Ireland
6 Mar 07
I didn't realise opening the windows would make it worse, thanks for the tip. I have heard of the silica gel but haven't seen it marketed here, I'll have to keep my eyes oput for it.
@sblossom (2169)
14 May 10
Over the past three year I have had problems with damp in my rooms. Suggested by one of my neighbours I bought my B&Q Compact Dehumidifier last September and paid 63.98 pounds. After a few months of using it I can’t see any improvement. The ceilings and floors in my bedroom and living room molded again after I cleaned them. In opposite, what I can see is the electricity bill up. Plus I created more housework, such as moving it from one room to another, emptying the bucket and cleaning the air filter, etc.
26 Mar 07
Banish black spots with one part vinegar or lemon juice to one part baking powder. Apply and leave for one or two hours. Rinse off. It may need to be reapplied or left longer, depending on how severe your mold or mildew is. Should smell alot nicer than bleach.
1 person likes this
@seamonkey (1981)
• Ireland
26 Mar 07
Hey, thanks a lot! It should smell a lot nicer than the bleach. Will it leave a residue if I miss some of it during the rinse?
@tammyr (5954)
• Etowah, Tennessee
6 Mar 07
I got this from one of villageannes discussions so am not sure if it works but is worth the try! "I also found that mixing white vinegar and cold water in a bowl and then applied with a cloth got rid of the mildew or mold stains safely on paintwork." Hope it helps you!
1 person likes this
@seamonkey (1981)
• Ireland
26 Mar 07
Thanks Tammy. It's another one of those things that will be worth a try. It might not smell much better than bleach, but maybe it wouldn't give me a sore throat.
@dfinster (3535)
• United States
23 Mar 07
Well, it seems as if maybe a dehumidifier would be of some help to you in this situation. I would try to put one on each floor of your house and see if that would make a difference. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.
1 person likes this
@drakan291 (817)
• Ireland
22 Mar 07
Heat and ventilation are your best bet. Get rid of anything that is going to give off moisture. It culd even be houseplants with wet pots that are making it worse.
1 person likes this
25 Nov 09
Fighting consendsation and mould can be a losing battle sometimes. First thing to do is check that there are no leaks causing the samp - for example check that the gutters are not blocked and overflowing onto the walls. Opening windows and putting the heating on is an expensive way to deal with the problem. I would invest in a good dehumidifier. This website has some good info http://www.aboutdehumidifiers.co.uk and is unbiased as they do not sell dehumidifiers. Dont forget that the samp can cause all sorts of health problems, breathing in all those mould spores is not a nice thought.