Which state has exclusive jurisdiction over child custody?

United States
March 9, 2007 1:05am CST
We were divorced in Missouri and a parenting plan filed in that court. in Dec. 2004 my ex moved to Alabama to live with an old boyfriend. No re-location was done. She began to refuse to let me talk to him at the end of 2005, on christmas she had come to Missouri to visit her mom and my son was there I found out and went to see him and the grand mother refused so I got the local police involved and got to see him. I have not seen him since. I have numerous phone records proving my attempt to talk to Alex not one month went by without attempts, no answer or they always said he was not there. In sept 2006 they married in Oct. 2006 the new husband filed to adopt my son. I still live in Missouri. Which state has jurisdiction?
1 person likes this
2 responses
@anij34 (317)
• United States
9 Mar 07
Missouri does. You need to find a good lawyer honey and get your son back and block this adoption. He cannot adopt your son if you were granted visitation or custody in Missouri. Seriously, get a lawyer now! Don't wait. Get your son back.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
9 Mar 07
You contact your local legal aid department for an appointment and advise. If you haven't seen your son for over a year it's quite possible for her to file papers as abandonment. That would allow the new husband to adopt if your parental rights are severed. Who has jurisdiction is another good question. I know that parents are encouraged in our state to get updates to child custody every 2 to 3 years. I would think that jurisdiction would still be in Missouri but I'm not an attorney. You really need legal advise from some one qualified to give it and you need it NOW. If your ex can prove abandonment your rights will be severed. If you had an address on her in Alabama, she could use that against you that you never even tried to see him. I would most definitely keep those phone records to show that you made attempts on the phone. Other than stressing to you how much you need to seek legal advise I really don't know what else to say. I wish you much luck on your battle ahead!