For the artists, how do you come up with the name of your artwork?

@kgwat70 (13395)
Do you always name your artwork? How do you come up with the name of your art? I am trying to think of some names for my drawings other than Ken's Artwork. Do you have any suggestions that I can use before I start trying to sell my artwork? Anyone that has any ideas can respond as I will appreciate any feedback. Here is another one of my drawings. You can click on the picture for a larger view for anyone that is new here.
Kevin I am a poet..but I believe poetry is an art..it's art with words..What I do is try to visualize words that come to my mind as I create my piece.. I would say..what words come to your mind when you are creating a piece..Is there a main thought that motivates you to create it? What dominates your thought with the piece? Sometimes these kind of names are more catchy then normal every day words;)
@kgwat70 (13395)
I too believe that poetry is an art. There is no real reason for why I created it other than to do something different and be creative. I will have to give my artwork some thought to what kind of name to give them. Thank you for your opinion and suggestion my dear friend. :-)
I think you have beautiful artwork Kevin...I think the name will come to you.. Your art work reminds me of the native indian american and early american style. Do you paint pictures or other items..?
@kgwat70 (13395)
Hi Joy. By the way, my name is Ken, not Kevin. LOL You are forgiven. This is the only type of artwork that I do. Everyone's suggestion has been a big help and maybe while I am sleeping tonight I will come up with a name for it.
I love your work, as you are so talented. I do not name my art. If it is a watercolor, then it will have the title of that piece. The same goes for my silhouette/scherenschnitte. I have a business name, as you can see on my website. But, all my business cards say, Margieanne/Artist
@kgwat70 (13395)
Thank you again my dear friend for your compliments. If I do give my artwork a name, it would probably be something simple. I find it hard to name my artwork and I guess it is because it is unique and different from other peoples drawings.
Well, you could call it abstract 1, abstract 2, or A, B, C, and so forth. Or just some name like, spacie, patches, uniform, moonstruck and any other weird name to try to match it in color, texture or composition. Understand? Good luck. You are creative, you will think of something cool.
@mdarma (868)
Most of my paintings are portraits, therefore it is not much of a problem in naming the drawing. If I do a scenery, then the main subject will be the name of the painting. Incidentally I paint on canvas – oil painting
@kgwat70 (13395)
I would love to see some of your paintings. I bet your work is great as well. It probably is easier to name portraits than it is abstract designs.
@Polly1 (12648)
I really like this one. I am not an artist, but I do have a suggestion. When you look at at, what is the first thing that pops in your mind? What do you think of when you see it, what are you thinking when you make it. Maybe that can help you come up with a title. Good luck.
@kgwat70 (13395)
I am glad that you liked that one very much and included a newer one and bigger version in a comment below. thank you for the tips and suggestions.
• Sweden
Dear friend I doubt that can help you. We will see.Immediately I couldn't come up with something that would be good for a peace of abstract art, a pattern. It is for me to be consumed just as it is. But you made me think now. In my art I tell stories. The history of sculptoral art shows you that it is coupled with litterature or stories, or similar.It is easy to find titles. If I were to mke somehing abstact I wouldn't have anything to say. The art of pattern is for me just decorative. There is abstract sculpture too, but when it is decorative, how often is there a name or titel added to it? t has its own value, like yours. I don't think you can or have to give titles to your art. People absorb the colours, enjoy the swinging the movements, wordless. You have, I think a wordless language. There is many a language, some without words, some has only gestures, like in dancing. Maybe the art of dance, by the way, would be something for you. Your art is rythmic is it not, moving, so ponder upon the art of dancing, what do children do: they play, you do it too.You play and enjoy. Try "I am happy" Kind regards Laila
@kgwat70 (13395)
This is very nice information that you have given me and will consider your advice as well as the others on how I will name my drawings. I do notice that not everyone gives titles to their artwork. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my discussion. Have a wonderful day Laila. :-) Ken
@BunGirl (2639)
My rule of thumb is: If it's worth framing it's worth naming. I do a lot of non-abstract work, and those are pretty easy to ame. For the more abstract pieces (stuff like your art) I either go with whatever inspired me, or whatever it reminds me of. For example, I did one once that was mostly pale green and white with small amounts of tan and violet. Named it orchid because the colors reminded me of an orchid.
@kgwat70 (13395)
I definitely appreciate all the feedback that you have given me. I would love to give a name to my piece. I do think it is easier to name a drawing/painting that is non abstract. Thank you for your suggestions. :-)