When do you think it is appropriate for girls to start wearing make up?

@mamasan34 (6521)
My daughter is going on 13 soon and I have allowed her to start wearing minimal eyeliner. I have my reservations about my decision though. I wasn't allowed to wear make up until I was 15 and I had to buy my own. So, my fellow mylotters? When you do you think it is appropriate for girls to start wearing make up?
I was allowed to start wearing make-up at 13 however I couldn't wear dark and loud colors. I received an allowance so I would purchase my own make-up. However at xmas and birthdays, if I asked for make-up, my parents didn't have a problem getting it for me. I have let my oldest daughter play with make-up since she was a young child however she has not asked to wear it yet. She will wear occassional lip gloss (she is 9 and wil be 10 in September). I have put make-up on her for dance recitals. I think that 13 is a good age to allow this to start if the child wants it however, clear boundaries need to be drawn so that the make-up doesn't get overwhelming.
@mamasan34 (6521)
It hasn't gotten overwhelming. She is very reserved in what she wears on her face. She was never really into playing with make up as a child unless her friends came over. It is good to know I don't feel alone in my decision! Thanks!
You're very welcome. My daughter when she was little loved to play with make-up. Once she 'made up' her older brother. I have pictures of that--black mail pictures my hubby calls them LOL And even to this day she will come to me, 'mommy can I make up you' and I don't mind at all. It lets her expeirment with things a bit and it lets me teach her with hands on experience that make up is to enhance, not cover up. Unfortunately I had to learn myself as my momma didn't wear make up at all. Needless to say that there was a time I had bright blue eyeshadow all the way up to my eyebrows!!!! What a site that must have been LOL
@mamasan34 (6521)
That is funny! I put my mom's rollers in my brothers hair when we were kids. He wouldn't let me put make up on him though!
It is difficult to make this decision. My 5 year old has make up at home that she can play with but she doesn't wear it out. I do occasionally put a bit of glitter on her for parties. I don't know if its a bad thing really as kids find ways of loking older or sneaking make up on if you dont' let them.
@mamasan34 (6521)
Tell me about it. When I was 14 my girlfriends mom was an avon representative and she would get her samples and we would split them up and wear it to school. We looked like a bunch of clowns in hindsight, but I hid it from my mom. I don't want my daughter doing that. She is very reserved so far. She only uses eyeliner. I myself hardly wear make up at all anymore. My fiance likes the natural look, and I am fine with that!
@Marie2473 (8517)
• Sweden
Hmm, difficult decision. My parents never told me that I couldnt wear makeup, and I almost never felt the need to. Still today at the age of 26 I hardly ever use any. i feel comfortable by just beein Me =) I think that as long as it is just alittle and not painted all over the face it is ok at the age of 13,. i am sure that most of her friends also are using it already since she obviously wants to start. there is nothing like pearpressure in that age =)
@mamasan34 (6521)
You are right about peer pressure. She doesn't want to wear the whole shabang, but she feels the need to wear eye liner. I told her that its ok, but it doesn't need to get out of hand and if she wears it she needs to wash it off before she goes to bed. I can still hear my mom saying "You will age 10 years if you don't wash the make up off."