Have you ever read a Self Improvement book that changed your life?

@Stiletto (4584)
I'm generally not a fan of self-improvement books because most of the ones I've read (and in fairness there haven't been that many) or heard about seem to be full of psychobabble and are not really my cup of tea! However one that I would recommend is "Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers. A friend gave me a copy about ten years ago when I was going through a fairly difficult time for various reasons and it definitely changed the way I think about things. Although it sounds fairly dramatic I would say it changed my life or at least it inspired me to make major changes in my life. If anyone else has read it I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it and if it did the same for you. Alternatively, maybe you have a different book that worked for you - if so tell us about it.
@ram_cv (16516)
I have read a few self improvement books and I have noticed a change from them. It is not that any one book changed my life altogether. But, I got a lot of tips from a various books which allowed me to improve overall. For e.g. there is a book called "The Naked Ape" which helped me get a good understanding of people's body language and helped me to respond to them better. Then there are books from De Bono on Creativity which was also good. Cheers! Ram
@ram_cv (16516)
I will check out "Feel the fear..." as soon as I can get my hands on it. Cheers! Ram
@ram_cv (16516)
After I had my first child I went through quite bad post natal depression. I feared almost everything and I had bad panic attacks. My mum found this book and it really did make a difference to how I viewed things and how I could change the way I was thinking. It is such a brilliant book, I gave it to a friend years ago when she was going through a divorce. Unfortunately I never got it back, but I still have alot of it instilled in my mind and when I am feeling scared to do something I always say to myself "Feel the Fear and do it anyway" It took alot of strength for me to go to Uni on my own when I had been away from education in over 20 years, but I stuck at it and now I finish in July after 3 yrs of hard graft while still working and looking after a family. I recommend this book to everyone who needs that kick to get them up and living again. Susan Jeffers has a website I go on alot too. Here is the link. http://www.susanjeffers.com/home/index.cfm
@Stiletto (4584)
I say exactly the same thing to myself when I'm faced with doing something that scares me or if I have one of my "I can't do it" panics! When I first read it I had a big job interview coming up - a job that it was common knowledge was likely to go to one of my colleagues and one that I really didn't have the paper qualifications or experience to do but I knew that I could do it if given the chance. It was also a huge leap in salary and responsibility. However I was absolutely dreading the interview because I knew that really they were just going through the motions interviewing people and I was scared I was going to look stupid and completely out of my depth. In fact I was seriously considering withdrawing my application because there were so many other things going on in my life at that time that I just felt I couldn't cope with any more stress. Anyway I read the book twice over in the week before the interview and got the job but actually getting the job became almost irrelevant. When I walked out of the interview room that day I knew that I had broken through a mental barrier that had held me back in almost every area of my life. It is a brilliant book - it just made such a huge difference to my way of thinking and my approach to life in general. Thanks for the link - I've not seen that website before so will take a look. Oh and well done for sticking with Uni - I know how tough it is going back into education because I did it too.
Thanks for your reply. Its amazing how someones words can make us feel so different about ourselves. I often tell people about this book, but no one has heard of it. I was very happy to read your discussion to hear how it had worked for you as well. Congrats on getting the job and an even bigger congrats for finding the strength to do it. Her website is very good, she gives daily affirmations to keep you going!!!
I've never read a self help book, but "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho changed my life, as corny as that sounds. It's about a boy who decides to chase his dreams, and the theme of the book is pretty much "if you're chasing your dream with your whole heart, the universe opens up a path for you to acheive it." Now I'm chasing my dream instead of wasting my life in a job I hate.
@Stiletto (4584)
That book has been gathering dust on my bookcase for ages now but I've not read it yet. I really must get round to it because I've heard so many good things about it and now there's your response as well. Good luck with following your dream - I hope the universe does it all can to assist you!
I have read "The Alchemist" and found it a good read; It was recommended to me by a magazine and I got the book and read it; Yes, there is a lesson with that fable and I found it enlightening as well.
I am not really one for self help books. I am only 23 which I myself conmsider to be very young. I am takingn inn to account the fact that I don't have any children or worries. In Scotland, I don't think we tend to read self help books and just place the blame of any flaws in our character on othe rthings or other people which seems to work effectively very well.
@Stiletto (4584)
lol you're absolutely right - "self-improvement" isn't really a big thing for us Scots is it? I'm not really that into it either but I at the time when I read "Feel the Fear.." I really needed to change a lot of things so I suppose it came along at the right time for me. At 23 you are very young and I'm glad you recognise that - I hear loads of people your age who talk and act as if they have the cares of the world on their shoulders which I think is a shame. In fairness I was probably the same but by the time I was your age I had a 5 year old to look after as well! There's enough time to get stressed out about everything when you're older!
@Savvynlady (3685)
I enjoy reading self help/improvement books and the one that I really liked was Joyce Vedral's Look In, Look up, Look Out. She has the book in eight keys will enable you to look within for the things you need to change, then Look up for the help you need from above, then to Look out World! because nothing can stop you now. I still have the book and I will also check out the books that you mentioned; thanks.
@Stiletto (4584)
I've not heard of that one but I'll look out for it. I'm sure you would at least enjoy "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" - apart from the potential benefits you might gain it's actually also a good read anyway. Thanks for your recommendation and for your response.
I think the one that's had the biggest impact on me would be Steven Covey's 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People'. This is an excellent book and I've found it amazigly valuable. Another one of his books, 'First Things First' is also well worth a read. I knew that I WANTED to make changes in my life; these two books have helped me make those changes start happening.
@Stiletto (4584)
A few people have recommended "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" to me and I've also frequently heard it mentioned at seminars, etc. I really must get myself a copy. It's interesting that you say you wanted to make changes - I was the same but sometimes it takes a book or something like that to finally spur us into action - it certainly was like that in my case anyway. Thanks for your response.