How to tell if your toddler is getting enough sleep...

Think of your toddler and ask yourself these questions: 1)Does he wake up crappy, crying or whining after a nap? 2)Does he begin to be emotional difficult or sensitive a half an hour or so before bedtime? 3)Does he fall asleep on short car rides or stroller rides? 4)Do you sometimes have to wake him up in the morning because he isn't up in time for you to go somewhere? 5)Does your child seem aggressive or hyperactive during the day? 6)Does your child seem sluggish or out of it during wake up hours? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this is a sure sign your child is not getting the proper amount of sleep. The proper amount of sleep for a toddler: As your child grows from infancy, he needs less and less sleep. A newborn may sleep up to 20 hours a day, an infant a bit older needs 16 a day, including naps, and toddlers should sleep about 14 hours a day, including naps. For a child 2-3, only 12 hours of sleep at night, two hour nap for in the day. How important is sleep: Getting a healthy amount of sleep is critical for the well being of your child. Constant sleep deprevation can lead to serious behavioral problems, and developemental and emotional delays. Adaquate sleeping is essential for proper functioning. This is not to say that if you need to wake your child up early a couple of days a week to take your child to daycare that you are damaging his developement, but it is a caution that interupting your childs sleep needs on a regular basis could be detrimental to his developementalal and emotional growth. I do know this, my son does not get enough sleep. I think I answered yes to every one of those questions. I try and try to get my son to take a nap, but all he does is go in his room and play with his toys. Now that I know that it is detrimental to his health, I will try harder to get him to take his naps. How about your child, do you think they get enough sleep?
@gabesmom (1246)
I know when my 15-month old son had enough sleep during the night. He wakes up smiling and would immediately get up. Otherwise, he would be squinting his eyes and fuss. It helps that I stay home with him that he can sleep in and take a nap whenever he needs to. He takes a nap for one to two hours once in the morning and another in the afternoon. He sleeps for at least eleven hours every night. He looks to be developmentally and emotionally healthy.