Do self-help books still prove to be useful?

Do you think self-help books are still useful in this day and age? With the advent of various online forums, online groups and even small community organizations that seek to help people with various concerns and issues, do you think that reading self-help book is still an effective way to address problems? Do you think it's better to read self-help books and sort things out on your own or do you think that interacting with people who share the same problems like you do is better and more beneficial?
@wolves69 (756)
I think they are more useful today then ever, but it depends on the topic. Books are handy reference materials that can be reviewed at anytime or place, as long as you are nearby. Internet sites come and go, and in some places the internet connections are not all that stable. Even if you find a site, you run the risk of viruses, worms, etc. which may deter some from contributing. However, the internet does bring people of similar interests closer together. Which means you can obtain first hand knowledge and experiences; however, all information whether from people or a book, have to be put in context and taken with a dose of skepticism because not all information is accurate. To me, I prefer understanding and reading about a situation or problem before going to others. That way, I have an idea what they may say and not sound like a total looney. Once I feel I have a basic grasp, then talking to others provides a level of what works in the real world.
@sallyxu126 (1185)
I think it is necessary to read self-book if you have one. if you don't have one , you can buy one or search one on internet. yes, we can speak our problems on forums, but we need self adjustment ,too . And self-help books can help you do that .