Cat drank antifreeze

@breepeace (3028)
Canada
May 17, 2007 10:34pm CST
I have my suspicions that my cat may have antifreeze poisoning, of course I can't really confirm that since the emergency vet here wants $200 just to do the test. A few hours ago she was walking like she was drunk, her pupils were dilated, she was puking and her heartbeat was quite rapid, so I rushed her to the vet. I'm so angry -- vets are truly such ripoffs, especially the emergency one here in town. He wanted the $200 for the tests and the exam fee, and then if she tested positive for ethylene glycol, between $1500 and $2000 for the medication and treatment. If it's not, they'd want to put her through a battery of tests for other potential causes which would range in the same area. My pet is potentially dying and you're willing to stand there, look me in the eye and tell me that you want more than a month's pay to save her life? I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it's not EG poisoning and the lack of coordination is just because of the vomiting. She seems better now, but they often says animals do with EG poisoning. I guess the only thing I can do is take the day off tomorrow, keep an eye on her and pray. I'd appreciate anyone that would do the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions besides the vet?
2 people like this
3 responses
• United States
18 May 07
Please read the following page ASAP: http://www.2ndchance.info/antifreeze.htm The page describes the treatments. Your Vet could have taken your cat in and given her intravenous fluids, lavaged her stomach, and done everything possible to stop further poisoning. It's very important to do this immediately! Why wait for the tests to come back, perform the first aid and see if it helps! Vets can be quacks. I finally found an elderly female vet who actually knew what she was doing - and didn't charge and arm and a leg. But she retired!!! Now I'm back to the young vets who want to perform every test under the sun, when the symptoms have presented themselves right up front. I'm afraid to say that your vet may be responsible for the problems that may arise. Yes, the treatment of lavage and IV would cost upwards of $500, but that is mostly made up of the cost of the equipment. It's up to you what you want to do. Don't let the vet talk you into extended stays for your animal. Tell him/her up front that you know the procedures. List them and ask the price for EACH. Once the vets knows that you know what's going on, they will not fleece you anymore. Good luck...I hope your kitty has only had a little, and that she can pull through. OH! And if your cat recovers, and the vet wants to do a kidney test, at least that's cheapish. Near me it costs $47, for the blood test. This will determine that there has been kidney damage - and if there is, treatment is available for it. (Many of the pets who ate the tainted cat and dog food that was recently in the news had kidney failure, so the vets have all read up on it, thank goodness.
@breepeace (3028)
• Canada
18 May 07
It was 8pm by the time I discovered it, and the Emergency Vet was the only one open. $500 would have been an easier pill to swallow, but he wanted to charge a few thousand, and I just simply can't afford that. I'd have a cat, but no food or a place to keep her. :( By the time MY vet opens today at 10am, if it is EG, it will be too late, since it will be 14 hours from the time I first noticed the symptoms, and she came inside at about 5pm yesterday, so it could be over 17 hours since she first ingested it. Sadly her system would already be metabolizing the poison by even this point. :( As I said, just keep your fingers crossed that it's not and she just ate something that didn't agree.
@elisa812 (3034)
• United States
18 May 07
I'm so sorry to hear that your kitty isn't feeling well! I hope that it isn't from poisoning. I can't believe how much they want to charge you!! That's so sad...if that happened to our cat, we probably wouldn't be able to afford to help her! I hope that your cat is ok. Maybe the vomiting will get all the bad stuff out of her system and help her feel better?? Well anyway, I will say a little prayer that the kitty will be ok!
1 person likes this
19 Jan 11
Maybe you could write letters to the Vet's mortgage bank asking that he be excused from making his house payment and ask the Vet to take the bus so he wouldn't need to make car payments, and ask the Vet to cancel his yearly 2 week vacation, and ask the Vet school to cancel the Vet's student loans. And write the supermarket where the vet shops asking that the vet be given free groceries. Or maybe you'd like to study for 12 hrs/day at Vet school.