What u may not know about hand sanitizer

@MINDY0882 (2304)
United States
June 6, 2007 1:02pm CST
please read if u have young kids.This wasnt my kid it happend to but wanted to share.. FROM LACEY BUTLER: Ok. I don't know where to begin because the last 2 days of my life have been such a blur. Yesterday, My youngest daughter Halle who is 4, was rushed to the emergency room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent. He was called to her school by the school secretary for Being "very VERY sick." He told me that when he arrived that Halle Was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn't hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn't focus them. He immediately called me after he scooped her up and rushed her to the ER. When we got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Saint Francis for further test. Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher had come to the ER and after questioning Halle's classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. Hand sanitizer, of all things. But it makes sense. These days they have all kinds of different scents and when you have a curious child, they are going to put all kinds of things in their mouths. When we arrived at Saint Francis, we told the ER doctor there to check her blood alcohol level, which, yes we did get weird looks from it but they did it. The results were her blood alcohol level was 85% and this was 6 hours after we first took her. There's no telling what it would have been if we would have tested it at the first ER. Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken this out of the classrooms of all the lower grade classes but what's to stop middle and high schoolers too? After doing research off the Internet, we have found out that it only takes 3 squirts of the stuff to be fatal in a toddler. For her blood alcohol level to be so high was to compare someone her size to drinking something 120 proof. So please PLEASE don't disregard this because I don't ever want anyone to go thru what my family And I have gone thru. Today was a little better but not much. Pease send this to everyone you know that has children or are having children. It doesn't matter what age. I just want people to know the dangers of this. ITs also on snopes http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp
1 response
@ravinskye (8242)
• United States
6 Jun 07
Wow I had no idea that stuff was capable of getting you drunk. I'm glad they've removed it from the schools. I can't imagine older kids putting the stuff in their mouths though, it can't taste good. I hope your daughter is doing ok.
@MINDY0882 (2304)
• United States
6 Jun 07
Thanks but as stated this wasnt my child it happend too, I plan to let my school know about it b/c I dont know if they know about it here .I never thought it could be that bad either.