Lead Poising My grand son has it

@marciascott (25554)
United States
July 30, 2007 10:07am CST
I just go off the phone talking from someone from the Health Department. This lady saids my Grandson has high levels of lead in his body, I don't know much about this, I half to tell my Daughter, I do know that it can interfere with childrens learning abilities, can some one tell me what else it can do? I half to do some reasearch on this, it doensn't sound good though. I wonder is there something they can give to him. It is scarey. I know that it can get into the blood. I hope it isn't serious. Ok, I need everyones opinion? Have a nice week, thanks Marcie.
1 person likes this
9 responses
@birthlady (5613)
• United States
30 Jul 07
Sometimes kids get high level of lead from eating dirt.
1 person likes this
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
31 Jul 07
I think my grand-son is too old to be eating dirt,he is 6 yrs old. I think it is the house that they live in.
@birthlady (5613)
• United States
4 Aug 07
Could be lead paint in the house, but check out the Fisher-Price toy recall because of LEAD in the paint on the toys.
• Malaysia
31 Jul 07
Just type "Lead Poisoning" in the address bar, a lot of web refferals that may help you. First and foremost you are getting prolific knowledge on it and especially for his daily nutritional part, the "do's and don't".
1 person likes this
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
31 Jul 07
Thank you very much, and Welcome to Mylot, I am getting all kinds of information about this subject, thanks, Marcie, how many friends do you have? get you lots of friends and write long replys, answer everyone else's topic. You will do good.
@brendalee (6083)
• United States
31 Jul 07
I am sorry Marcia. I usually know about most medical things but I don't really know much about lead poisoning. I see people have left you some links to look at and hopefully they tell you what you need to know. I just wanted to let you know that I hope your grandson comes out okay. I will be praying for him.
1 person likes this
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
31 Jul 07
Thanks Brenda, give your Grandson a hug for me too. Ok, I hope you have a good night sleep, I am going to bed and get ready for this Doctor about My knee, hope he tells me something!
@sgammage (27)
• United States
30 Jul 07
it is a serious condition but it not as bad as it sounds. my son had lead poison also very high level. what the doctor will do is determine if he want to treat the child in the hospital with a high dose of medicine thru an iv or treat him by high dose of iron . The doctor decided to treat my son as a outpatient. The doctor also recommend that I give my son alot of calicum rich food. Iron and calicum keep the lead for asorbing into the his system.Now the health department is going to try to determin where your son got the lead poisoning from they will come out to your house a test walls,floors and dirt around the house. It they determine that its came from the house.they will ask you to repair it by painting over it but you can not scrap the old paint off. they use to make paint with lead. MY son is now a freshman in college and doing great.
1 person likes this
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
31 Jul 07
Welcome to Mylot, You got the right idea, write long replys it will help you in the long run. anyway back to lead posioning, I think it may be the house that they live in before, she hasn't been there too long. Thanks for commenting, that is good your Son is doing great!
@DanaMark (807)
• United States
30 Jul 07
I'm sorry to hear about your grandson having high levels of lead in his body. I'm sure that is scary for all of you. You might take a look at this site. It gives recommendations for various levels of lead. http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/lead/lead.html I hope he does all right.
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
31 Jul 07
Thank you Mark, I haven't been on Mylot at all today, I am getting ready for bed now, I half to go to Doctor to see about my Knee, Orthepic Doctor. Ok, good night! I will check out the sites.
@Debs_place (10525)
• United States
30 Jul 07
there is treatment for it, I would recommend that she get your grandson to the doctor immediately. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/leadpoisoning.html#cat5 This is serious, I would not try to explain it to her, let the doctor do it. What you must do is find the source of the lead. If she is in an older building, it maybe from paint, if he is a toddler, he might be chewing on the window sills, this would be a logical source. Often toys that are made in other countries have lead paint as well.
1 person likes this
@marciascott (25554)
• United States
30 Jul 07
Thank you she is taking him right away! Thanks for informaton. she has Fraternal twin boys that is 14 mos. I am afraid for them.
@kitty1234 (1476)
• United States
31 Jul 07
After your grandson is seen by his doctor and begins treatment, (which is of the highest priority), the next step should be locating the source of the lead. Lead based paints, food, tap drinking water are all sources that need investigation. There are many websites that can provide information, your local health department but your best source would be the childs doctor.
@rouwel23 (1353)
• Philippines
14 Aug 07
lead poisoning has harmful effects to the body, hope your child would get through all of this just fine.
@birthlady (5613)
• United States
4 Aug 07
Fisher-Price has recalled around 800 toys due to LEAD content in the paint. Please check to see if your grandson has any of these toys. Look it up online, there's an 800 number to call for recall information. When children play, they may have dirt on their hands and put hands in their mouth, and thus "eat" dirt (not to mention eating foods that have fallen on the ground).