Why does my cat bite me on the top of the head while I'm sleeping?

The other morning, my baby girl cat crawled up into bed with me and cuddled up. And, that's just fine with me. She's not a bed-hog by any means and always provide nice company. But, sometime during the middle of the night, I woke up to a strange stinging sensation on the top of my head. Upon further investigation, I found that she was sitting on my pillow and biting me gently on the top of my head. She would lick my head and then bite me. Not really hard, but enough to wake me up. She's done this before. Like sometimes when I am working on the computer, she will sit on the back of my armchair and suddenly bite me on the top of the head, really hard, especially if I've just come out of the shower and my hair is still wet. Once she even smelled of my shoulder (while sitting on the back of my chair) and got so upset that she bit me. It left a really nasty purple mark. She's not an evil cat. Not really. So, I'm wondering what would inspire her to do something like bite me on the head while I'm sleeping. And why would she suddenly freak out and stop being a nice cat and bite me on the shoulder? Is that a cat domination thing? Why do cats flip out like that?