New Job Searching Techniques

Romania
Nothing more annoying than doing the same thing like 95% of all job seekers in my country. Searching a job through the old newspaper ad. No wonder so many get disappointed and don't even get the chance of landing an interview...not to speak of actually landing a good job. I've discovered a couple of months ago that there are so many other efficient ways of job searching. Improve your job search technique. It's actually easier than you might have thought. So what are your new job search techniques? What's more effective these days?
I use jobstreet.com to find a job last time but all of the job listed was very far from my hometown. So I have try find using newspaper and writes a letter. Then my cousin tell me that they have a vacancy in their company. Then I went for the interview and get the job. It is not a technique, but a coincident... lol...