Why wont He Stop Crying??

I babysit a 9 month old little boy. He is usually pretty good. He cries if hes hungry or tired. Well today was a bad day. He cried for 5 hours!! Nothing I did made him stop. I changed him, rocked him, fed him, played toys with him..Nothing. Then all of a sudden he stopped. Hes not sick and isnt teething right now. I just dont get why he was so upset. My head cant take anymore crying. Has anyone had a baby that did this?? I have noticed that his mom holds him ALL the time..doing dishes, cooking, cleaning..ect. I have 5 kids almost everyday and dont have time to hold him all day. Maybe hes just protesting!! LOL Any help would be appreciated!! THANX!
If he is used to being held all the time, that may be the problem, and yes i have experienced this problem myself. When my daughter was just born, a friend of mine had lost her babysitter and had no where to take her son, so I said i would watch him for her, he always seemed so happy and we certainly could have used the cash. Well what she didnt tell me was that he was used to being held all the time and i mean all the time, plus she was a single parent and he didnt like men. So he would scream if my husband was even in the house and would scream and tantrum uncontrallably when i had to hold and feed my own child. My husband finally said he had to go, I felt awful doing that to her but there was no way around it.
Thats the same thing Im going through. I am tring to break him from wanting to be held. He is 9 months and can only scoot across the floor. He should be crawling and starting to be interested in pulling up on things but because hes held all the time he isnt where he should be. I keep him occupied with toys, cherios in the high chair, and music. He loves music. He instantly calms down. Not that I dont want to hold him but with house work and 3-4 other kids I dont have time or enough hands. I hope after a few weeks he will get that I wont hold him everytime he cries.
Hopefully he will adjust, I dont think it would hurt to kindly mention to the mom that she is not doing her baby justice by holding him all the time
It may have just been a day where he really just wanted his mom. I know my newphew is like that and they are around the same age. He's usually pretty good but some days he only wants his mom. If he does it again I would suggest that maybe if you called his mom and let him hear her voice. It could help calm him down some
I might try that the next time he wont calm down. Thanx
some times babies just need attention maybe he though he wasnt getting enough even at that age they can tell, holding a baby all the time can lead to problems anyway but it may be the only way she can get any peace so she made a habbit of it. My son has done it on a few occasions but has always come down sick within the next few days so maybe it could be a warning also that he is going to get sick. Good Luck
@3lilangels (4639)
wow it could be so many things,where do i start.he could be just wanted his mommy sometimes my babies cry all the time and i mean all the time and as soon as they hear my voice or i pick them up they are fine.also it could be gas,or maybe getting a cold or even not getting enough sleep they get really cranky and the only thing they know how to express it by is to cry for attention on it.wow his mom should not be holding him 24/7 thats gonna be so bad when he get a little bit older and goes to school.my babies were colic and man they cried so much i just wanted to pull my hair out.but i bought a soothing cd for them with luulabies and it worked out very well.or you can try wrapping a towel and putting it in the freezer and then lket him suck on it,could be getting new teeh in too.pattie
@Feona1962 (7527)
Hi honey, I feel bad for both of you..You did just about everything I would have done..Make sure you tell his mom, maybe there is something else wrong besides the obvious, teething, hunger or diaper change...Have you tried a teething ring? He may be teething.....Maybe he has a lot of gas and can't expel it...Lay him on his back and massage his legs as you move them toward his chest.. Or he may have a bad burp that he can't get up...I know how frustrating alot of crying can be...Some babies just cry for no reason....Since the mom does hold him alot could be the reason....They get used to that and once you start it is hard to stop...
@azimsay (545)
Must be baby in toilet and he is hungryplease cheak,these things and do next.
maybe he just had a bad night, or there was tension at home and he could feel something was wrong. Were you maybe tense when he arrived? or are there just hidden teeth that you don't know about yet. After four kids I discovered that some days are just bad and many a time a reason was never found. His mother carrying him around all the time is a possible clue to the fact that maybe he thought if he cried enough you would be the same. Either way if you just treat him the same he will get used to the idea that life in your house is different to the one at home, he will learn eventually. Hang in there.
@mamasan34 (6521)
I know your discussion is 19 hours old now lol, and this probably won't help at all now! But if that baby has been crying for this long, it might be because he is colicky, teething or coming down with something. Also, if his mom holds him all the time,then this could be an issue too, kids are very stubborn and will cry for a long time if they are not comfortable with the situation. If he is that attached to his mom then that could be the problem to. I feel for you hahaha!