Cooking advice for first time Turkey

OK everyone obvisouly cooks thier turkey differently but if it were someones first turkey what type of advice would you give them? to cook covered first half? cook covered 2nd half of coooking time? add or dont add water to the bottom of the pan? coat the turkey with oil and spices etc?? just curious i was never taught how to cook a turkey and a few years back the kids hubby and i were staying home and i kind of winged it and ive cooked one every year since but i have a friend who wants to take a stab at her first turkey and well although ive cooked a few i dont really know how to prepare her so if you were me what advice would you give her to make a great tasting juicy turkey as simple as possible?? thanks in advance
@vikceo (1301)
well i dont know how to cook turkey as i am a vegetarian and more over turkeys are not easy availble in India. you should try from some recipe books
@dayzz25 (552)
You can send her to this website www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739,135178-247198,00.html. It tells how to cook a turkey. I thought it was very helpful so maybe your friend will also. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.
@Sillychick (3282)
What I do is put a few pats of butter on the Turkey and sort of rub it in. I also put a little salt and pepper on. Then I cover it with an aluminum foil 'tent' for the first few hours. I baste every 30 minutes or so, don't add water though. I remove the foil cover for about the last hour or so, and the skin browns nicely. I don't go by the pop up timer, if the turkey has one, I use a meat thermometer and cook to about 170-175 degrees. Then let it set for about 15-20 minutes before carving. And stuffing in the turkey is the best, adds the best flavor to the stuffing.