What is the best way to break up with someone?

How do you break up with someone, and still reamin friends? The time-old question that has perplexed us all at one time or another
My best friend and I used to be a couple, but were also friends before this. We had an awful row and I smacked him in the face. He left that night, our relstionship was over. When we had both had time to calm down, we realised that our friendship was worth saving. We are not a couple but we are so much closer now. We each still have our rough times but we are always here for one another now and for that I will always love him and vice versa..
I simply state the issues at hand and what I don't tolerate. I hear the person out and wish them well. I stick to my word and that is that. I am quite friends with my ex. We had a bad blow up and I hit him in the back with a pipe. he kicked in my door and choked me. I kicked him down a flight of stairs. However he knew at the end he was wrong. That I meant what I said the first time I said it. Now we are friends. we always laugh over this fight. He actually ask us to try again. I just don't go backwards on my word.