Do You Know What The Patient Bill Of Rights Are?

In 1997 in the United States there was a law passed that was and is supposed to protect patients rights. The ultimate goal of this bill sets standards based on the idea that no patient- should have more rights than any other. Whether you are enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid or are a veteran or government employee, whether you are covered by an employer or buy your own health insurance, and even if you have no healthcare coverage at all, this bill applies to all the citizens in the United States. Beyond the basic belief that all patients be treated equal, the Bill also adds some other commonly accepted American attitudes. These attitudes are: 1.The United States must strive to give healthcare to all. 2. No one should go broke trying to pay the bills of a catastrophic illness 3. Healthcare coverage must be affordable 4. People who are particularly vulnerable deserve extra help 5. Health insurers should use their premiums to pay a reasonable portion of the cost of care 6. People should be encouraged to participate in the clinical trials that result in new medications and better approaches to illnesses Now my question is : If we are all supposed to be treated equal then why do some people have to wait longer to see a dr than others. I have found that it depends on who you are and who you know. What has been your experience in this "all patients treated equal"???
@winterose (39918)
there is politics everywhere we can't escape it, the wealthy always have better treatment in everything
It is funny how when the rules apply in our favor, they are forgotten but when they benefit some larger company or person, they are quickly remembered.
Like any other bill of rights, patients and the public need to stand up and fight for what is rightfully theirs. The health care field in general is a mess, and everyone is greedy and looking to make a buck. The bill of rights covers other things, like you have a say in your care, your doctor is supposed to thouroughly discuss your options with you, you have a right to privacy and that your medical records be kept private, you can refuse care without repercussions, care of competant doctors and nurses, the right to know what medication you are taking and the side effects it can cause and what other options are available besides medication. The medical bill of rights got lost a long time ago, we need to start to educated people more on what their rights are and what they mean.
I totally agree with you. I had a problem with a Dr while I was in the hopsital once. I pused the call nurse button and ask How i went about signing myself out of the hospital. That was the quickest a Doctor come to check on me. LOL