How about helping the homeless and sick in the USA; why Africa

It sometimes irritates me that we have so many needy, sick and underprivileged people here in the USA and all you hear about are the kids in Africa. Oprah, Branjelina, American Idol and many more have all hopped on the bandwagon. Why do we need to go to Africa when we can help the kids and people in our own backyard? Don't get me wrong, it is sad what is happening over there; but what about taking care of our own first?
@winterose (39921)
first of all oprah and american idol sponsored people in america as well. idol did that africa show and half of the profits went to katrina
Thanks for your input. I think it would be nice to see more help for the struggling here in the USA. I commend them for their charitable acts but often wonder why they feel the need to go so far away when so many children are dying here.
I can truly understand your concerns. I do know for sure I could use the help. I also know there are United states citizens. Who won't get up off their azziz to change that. I would rather see them give that money to the Africans. Who know what it is to struggle daily. Give any of them the chance to come here. They would not heitake to do what Some American's won't do. This won't change any time soon either. I applaud all of them for helping where they do. Plus the bigger issue is this. Why should they work hard. Bust their backs making that money. For others to tell them where to spend it. If they wanted to wipe their back sides. With all that cash it's theirs to do it. I am a poor woman who needs help too. But I would never sit and wait to be helped. Nor criticize hard workers for helping others. They make the money they get to spend it. Who am I to ever judge them? It's just never going to stop. Judging others for making and helping is cruel.
I am not making a judgement on them. I am just saying there are so many deserving people right here in the USA and all you ever hear about is people going to Africa to raise money and adopting the children. Sad that somebody doesn't start with their neighbor and move on from there. Sometimes almost seems like a publicity stunt to me.
@twoey68 (13651)
It irritates me as well. I also see ppl like Madonna and Angelina Jolie adopting kids from other countries when there are so many here that need homes too. There are ppl right here in our own country that need homes, food, clothes, heat, medical care and yet it all seems to be going to other countries. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
Yes, I agree with helping those in need in our own country first. I would like to say more about it. However, mylot is having technical difficulty at this time.
I completely agree with you. I think that we are so worried about everyone elses children and not our own. We have children going to school and then going home to thier car and not eat dinner, the only meal that they get is lunch. That is really sad. I dont understand this country.
@cupoftea (715)
I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's so sad. So many homeless in my area, and getting larger and larger everyday. I see them all sitting under the bridge near the freeway.
@jhl930 (3605)
I think that you are absolutely right I think that the American governement, and other people really don't spend enough time or money for the people that are sick and homeless right here in our own country because they are off helping other countries which doesn't make any sense to me at all...like trying to re build iraq??? why would you do that after you just went to war with the country...that makes no sense..
@chrislotz (8203)
I have thought this same thing for years now. I do feel for other kids in other countries, but I think we need to help our own first, then the others. I live in Canada and it is no different here, we have lots of kids living in poverty. We have lots of street people that have no jobs. We have lots of sick people in our hosptals that have no one that cares about them. So yes, I think we need to take care of our onw first, then the African kids. Also we spend billions of dollars on wars and blow up these peoples countries and then we spend more billions of dollars rebuilding them. Imagine how much good this money would do our homeless and poverty sticken people.
@youdontsay (3503)
I think people would rather look at the poverty and disease from a distance than to admit that it exists within our own back yard. There are organizations that fight hunger, poverty, and disease in America. Maybe we should launch a campaign to get other countries to contribute to America's needy. I thought it was interesting that the White House rejected offers of aid from other countries during the Katrina disaster. Maybe if others had been allowed to help the recovery would occur more quickly there. If you are looking for a way to help Americans in poverty check out The Box Project. It matches you with a family with whom you exchange letters and you send them items they need/want each month. You can keep it small or give big, depending on your resources. And you make lifetime friends. They have families in the poorest areas, primarily Mississippi and S. Dakota Native Americans.
I too and tired of everyone running to other countries to help people especially when people know that there are sick and dying people right here that need just as much help as those people do. It just seems so strange to me no one wants to help anyone here, they'd rather go and help other people. Helping everyone is nice. I don't see why they can't make donations to charities here and what not and help those people elsewhere as well. How hard is that anyway? It's not like they don't have a lot of money, especially if they are throwing it around to help people everywhere else.