Soy Candles

Canada
March 6, 2008 12:40pm CST
As many of you know, I am anti-multinational...and circumnavigate them any way I can...and that lead me to learning about Soy Candles. Like anything else in life this is a matter of preference, and I use Soy wax. My reasons are based on 2 issues, health & cost. Albeit, parafin isn't expensive to use but from a health standpoint it has it's issues. Parafin is a by-product of the petroleum industry. It's the leftover residue (sludge) that is bleached with toxic chemicals, many of which are carcinogenic like acetone and benzene, among a host of others. Lead is also used in this process. When you burn the candles these nasty compounds are released into the air we breathe,and this is the cause of the soot deposits on walls, ceilings and most important .... our lungs. Really nasty for breathing compromised individuals. Beeswax is wonderful. It is natural and has an elongated burn time, but it is expensive. Enter soy wax, it burns really clean and is moderately priced. A soy candle will burn 50% longer than paraffin....and because it comes from soybeans, it is a renewable resource. Another thing to consider is the type of wick, 100% cotton is the best, but a lot of commercial/paraffin candles have a very thin zinc wire/paper core that makes the candle burn faster, therefore more soot. I do rely on candles a fair amount, due to power outages, and I'm sure glad of soy candles. Sunshiney day to all of you.
2 people like this
1 response
@AmbiePam (47871)
• United States
21 Jul 08
I hope you don't mind me answering this discussion since it was written months ago. I figured it was OK since it didn't have any responses yet. I appreciate your post! It has only been in the last six months that I have seen the benefits of soy candles. I first read about them in an alternative health magazine, a natural health magazine. I was trying to do everything in my power to better the quality of my life, and since I frequently used candles (my upstairs neighbor smokes and I not only get that smell seeped into my apartment below, but whatever she cooks, I also smell), I decided to make a concentrated effort to buy candles made of soy, if not beeswax. It made a huge impact on my migraines. I have had migraines for years, and will no matter what, but when and if I fell alseep with a candle burning (in a safe place, far from starting a fire), I didn't wake up with a headache. Even by the smell, you could tell it was a cleaner, crisper scent, not nearly as 'perfumed' as the regular candles I used to use.
1 person likes this
• Canada
22 Jul 08
Thank you for responding! I ran across this article in "Backwoods Home," quite a few years ago....and put "Soy" Candles on my "town" list! I am sooooo pleased with them, and the lack of soot! I use a lot of candles in the Winters, as we have lots of power outages! Beeswax are great, as you say, too! I am so sorry you suffer from migraines, I saw the agony my son went thru when he was plagued by them! His were food related, and by keeping a diary, we were able to pinpoint the foods that set him up for excruciating pain! Are you able to establish what sets your's off? Food...stress...Injury? And when you have them are you "non-compus-mentis?" For my son, it was a dark room & absolutely NO noise! Have a sparkling day...my friend...and Thanks!
1 person likes this
@AmbiePam (47871)
• United States
23 Jul 08
I started having migraines when I was eight, and even as I got older I kept a food journal. We never figured out why, but when I was 18 I had a car accident and it then made them worse. When I get one it's no light, a cold washcloth, and everyone keep the toilet free (gross, I know). I like the no soot fashion of the soy candles, and now my parents do too. They had a power outage and fell asleep with a candle in their room. The next morning their faces were covered in soot and even their walls were too!