Invetro Fertilization?

I was watching Oprah and there were people on there who were going through the process of IVF. They talked about all of the shots and the pills they had to take, all of the money they had to spend and I got to thinking; why would they do this? I can understand for some super-rich person who wants their own child who can afford to spend upwards of $20,000 - $30,000 every few months, but what about those people who aren't in the "rich" category. Just the average person, what makes them decide to get IVF instead of adopting? While I realize that adoption can be quite expensive in some cases, in most cases it is less-expensive than IVF.
For most women, giving birth to their own child is very important to them. To be able to feel the baby grow and move, something they want to know. For men, alot of men dont want to raise a child they dont see as their own. Even in this day and age, some men just are not comfortable raising someone elses child. If IVF doesnt work for them, and after hundreds of thousands of dollars spent, the urgency to have a child will lead them to adoption. It is almost like certain steps they have to follow, emotionally to accept they cant physically have their own child. If adoption wasnt so expensive, maybe more kids would be able to find a loving home. Just because someone is middle or lower class, does not mean they cant love a child and give him or her a great home.
Adoption actually isn't that incredibly expensive. It all depends where you adopt from, it can range from $5,000 - $40,000 depending on your requirements. Also it does become a tax deduction/write-off so it costs up front money but then you don't have to pay taxes for 5-10 years depending on how much you spent. Not that, that is a good reason to adopt, just a thought.