How to become a good listener?

@chenpan (381)
China
Being a good listener is not easy ,it need a lot of skills. In my opinion, whatever we can give some advice or not,being a good listener,we must be sincere ,and patient,and listen carefully.
@Swaana (1208)
Yes it is not so easy to be a good listener. You need to be patience and also you should maintain the secret that is told to you.
@chenpan (381)
yes, maintain the secret is very important
@wnbwnbwnb (427)
Being patient is a must!
@chenpan (381)
yes, i agree with you
@rhane7315 (5673)
being a good listener must also be a good adviser and must not jump to conclusions easily and sometimes if that happens on you, you should also base it in your own experience
@p_vadla (1687)
Just listen! Being empathetic with the other automatically makes us listen to them..this is how i feel.
I agree that being a good listener is not always easy. I was talking with my sister last night, and we were sharing about people/acquaintances we know who will jump into the middle of a sentence when we are speaking. I know sometimes I have this tendency as well. Sometimes people use what others say as a jumping off point to get their idea across. True listening is giving love and attention. When we listen we are giving the speaker our energy; I think that is why some people have a tough time waiting and truly listening. Others words and ideas can roll around us; giving the speaker our focused attention is a wonderful thing to do. It validates their experience and their view of the world. I do believe I would have trouble giving this kind of attention to someone who was ranting in a crazy, raging fashion. But most people are trying to share their everyday experiences, and listening is a wonderful way to show true caring.
Though sometimes listening can be hard and frustrating to do, its best just to remain quiet. I'm a quiet person most of the time, and this fact alone fools people to thinking that I am a good listener. I can't quite remember who said it, but I quote from him anyway: "I gave up on being a great conversationalist a long time ago. Now I'm just silent and people branded me a great listener".