With depression do you have to help yourself as well as recieving help?

My best friend has been suffering quite badly with post natal depression since having her baby 6 months ago. I know how depression feels as i suffered with it 7 or 8 years ago for a brief time. Mundane every day tasks like having a shower, coming downstairs and opening the curtains were really hard. So I don't know how women cope with PND and having their children around. My friend rang the other day to say she was staying with her mum for a few days then being admitted to the mental health hospital for 2 weeks. I was shocked. But what makes me think is that had she not had the back up from her parents (one of which is a retired nurse/health visitor), and some family history of depression. She would never have had the foresight to see her doctor who has helped her immensly. What do you think or have you experienced depression? x
@besthope44 (12145)
I use to manage depression, listening musiq, playing violen and i like chocolates, and i feel i get refreshed after having my chocolates. And best remedy is Meditation, try breathing exercise, it will help you balance and handle depression.
@mbs730 (2152)
I feel for her, I also had PPD after I had my daughter and I had to fend for myself basically.. went to a psych who just threw a prescription of celexa at me and it did NOTHING for me. It was HELL. I did a lot of things back then that I regret (nothing dangerous, just stupid... which ruined my reputation quite badly). Come to think of it I should have been admitted but no one took it seriously... surprisingly I took care of my daughter's basic needs (I couldn't show her affection and when I think about it today, it really upsets me) but I got myself into deep debt and did other really stupid and impulsive things... I may have not caused any physical harm but I wonder if I bordered on having post partum psychosis. And yes mundane tasks were awful for me. I couldn't do much of it. Ugh so glad that time is over. Just be supportive of her, and let her know you are there for her. It won't last forever.
@p_vadla (1687)
Both forms are necessary.Some times doctors and the patients have to work together.
@realgem1 (260)
My situation was little bit different, I became depressed after my job. I just fell really bad that my life is in the company and not with my family and friends. Which i used to enjoy. But in order to come out of any kind of depression we just need to see the situation we are in and we should ask ourselves that whats wrong with me.AM i ok, list out the things that making you depressed and try to resolve them one after the other.One final day you will have solution for all your current problems and then you should be ok. I have got a dedicated blog to deal with mental disorder, you can also check the sameh http://trainyourmind.blogspot.com