unpaid wages

United States
May 31, 2006 10:46pm CST
My husband worked for a trucking company and got into an accident hitting a bridge nobody was harmed. The company had him take a drug test which he passed and they kept him out running loads for almost a week and a half and when he got back to the terminal they fired him and have kept over 3 weeks of his pay for the accident. Is that legal ? Can they take all his pay and not pay him anything?
3 responses
@wvchell78 (564)
• United States
30 Nov 06
I just had this problem with my husband's employer. They took money out of his paycheck for an accident too. He works for a delivery company driving a truck and damaged a culvert. His employer paid for the culvert out of his own pocket and took the money out of his paycheck. In WV I was told it is illegal to take money out of a paycheck without written consent. You need to contact your states Division of Wage & Hour. The federal Wage & Hour told me that it is up to the state office to handle these matters. I hope this helps and you get your money back.
@ossie16d (11827)
• Australia
7 Oct 06
Gee I hope this matter has been resolved after all this time. I think whether or not they could withhold pay would depend on his employment contract, i.e. was he liable for damages caused if the accident was his fault. If this situation was to arise again, I would suggest that first point would be that your husband get the details in writing and then take it to your department of labour (or whatever the government dept responsible for employment is called) or else the union.
• United States
7 Oct 06
I would try calling the labor board and asking. They should of done something sooner. Sorry to hear that.