Benefits of sleeping on the floor?

Hi all,i just read an article about this one...sleeping on the floor is good than sleeping on the bed..but though its not possible during heavy winters which we have here in countries like UK/US ...do u really think it has got certain benefits??And would u agree to sleep on the floor if u find it much beneficial..I myself,i have slept once or twice on the floor after reading this article and found out i felt lot better with my bad back..any kind of experiences with u??please share..
I dunno about benefits, all I know is it saves room space and makes your mattress very dirty. Apart from this, if you are heavy around the waist, you could look like a hippopotamus rising, when you rouse yourself early in the morning. When I was in Bangalore (a year back) I used to sleep on the floor. I did not purchase a bed, to cut costs. I rented a single room, to cut costs again. My room in Bangalore had to accommodate a wardrobe, a table with PC and phone. I want a lot of space around me, so decided not the clutter the little space with a cot. I slept on the floor, and rolled up the bedding, pukka sanyasin type early in the morning. I used the rolled up bedding like a sort of sofa. Those were my "poor" days. Now, I am back in my little home town. I have my own bed here, but at night, I drag the beddings off the cot and spread it bang in the middle of the floor. Reason: Well, by now you know I am a weirdo ;) To be right below the fan. The cot is in one side of the room. I wanna be right below the fan because the heat of the summer is driving me nuts. I dunno about any health benefits. I do not recommend sleeping on the floor to old people, people with innumerable aches and pains in their back and waist and legs, and people who are too fat. Cheers and thanks for the interesting discussion.
• Lubbock, Texas
If sleeping on the floor is not possible because of the cold, you could try switching to a Futon mattress or bed. Many times when a person has a bad back, they want to lay on a soft bed thinking that their back will feel better, but a soft mattress throws your spine out of alignment making a bad back worse. I have never objected to sleeping on the floor and many times the floor has been more comfortable than a bed.
One most important you wont fall from the bed and dont break ur vital organs. Seond you dont have to worry about weting bed problem.:-) Another benefit of sleeping on floor is that u can save a lot of money that u will spend on beds and mattress. Jokes apart, its really benefacial if u sleep on the floor. Firstly it will really good for ur back thats why most of the doctors advice to sleep on the hard ground or matress. And aldo one reason is floor is coller in summer, and with weather here in coastal areas of chennai u will get relieved.
Oh...nice to know these things...my wife,who is a doctor of physical therapy.. used to advocate sleeping on the floor..though she asks me to roll a bath towel under the neck and fold a towel in four and keep it in the lumbar region..She says the spinal column will be supported the best if u do that..and helps in beating the bad back..also she taught me some extension exercises to relieve it!! :) She also knows pranic healing and that helps me a lot...Its always the best to marry a physical therapist,atleast for those wonderful therapeutic massage sessions!!! :P
@Psyclown (131)
• Venezuela
That or sleep in without any pillow, because your body is completely straight and your back is safe.
@sameroad (3181)
I used to sleep on the floor when I was younger and should sleep over my friends but all that ever did was make my back hurt... but i'll lay on the ground sometimes for 10-20mins and it feels GREAT. I also usually lay on the floor after i do yoga for a good 10mins. I think i heard somewhere that even laying on the floor for a certain amount of time can help with back problems.. I forgot how long your suppose to lay there though. you could do that instead of sleeping.
@ruby222 (4849)
Ive slept on the floor many times when ive been to stay with family and there have been a lot of us there and not a lot of room.But i wouldnt say that its the comfiest feeling,and even if i suffered from a bad back im still not too sure that i would choose to sleep on the floor!!its just so painful ..i think thats the word that describes it the best!!..when you try to turn around all of your bones feel as though they are screaming..and although im fairly plump its still agony.!!But my mum has a very firm matress in the room that we sleep in when we go there,and that mattress is horrible!!its like sleeping on a tombstone!!I often laugh about it,but im so glad to get back into my own bed the next night ..thats for sure!!
@wisedragon (2331)
I like sleeping on the floor if it is carpeted. I believe it helps my stooped-shoulder and forward-head posture because if I lie flat on my back it really straightens my spine. There should be no pests though. I don't think I can sleep if there are mice and cockroaches running around.
@winterose (39925)
they say that it is better to sleep on board or a floor, propping up on pillows causes back problems, But I cannot sleep flat on a floor or bed, my back hurts when I do that.