Did you know that dish detergent can make you sick?

United States
May 21, 2008 10:29am CST
Did you know this? If you don't rinse your dishes well enough you can get sick. I learned this one awhile back from a magazine article. But, it wasn't until I got sick from my dishes that the point really sank in. It makes your stomach feel really bad! Here are some tips to keep your family safe while still getting super clean and sanitized dishes. Rinse your dishes well. Dilute dish detergent in a seperate spray or squeeze bottle. And, only use diluted detergent on individual plates and never full strength detergent as it's designed to stick to surfaces (i.e. pans to cut grease) and won't rinse off easily. That way detergent gel won't stick to dishes. If rinsing doesn't work to cut grease and remove dish detergent taste, spray clean dish with light solution of rubbing alcohol and water. That works for me. Just be sure to rinse extremely well after using alcohol on dishes.
1 person likes this
5 responses
@Ldyjarhead (10162)
• United States
21 May 08
Better yet, switch to a product that doesn't contain chemicals! Even if you rinse your dishes well, if you wash by hand you are still absorbing the chemicals into your body through your skin. Most people think that your skin is waterproof, but it most certainly is not. Same with bathing/washing hair, etc. You're ingesting all sorts of nasty junk that way too, as well as through your clothes that are washing in conventional products.
1 person likes this
@chiyosan (29405)
• Philippines
21 May 08
hi! thanks BeautyQueen for the tips. these are really nice ideas/ i will advice my mom about this so we can all be careful.
1 person likes this
@Thoroughrob (11772)
• United States
21 May 08
I did not know that. I will have to make sure we are rinsing good. We don't need to be any more sick than we have to be.
• United States
21 May 08
So true! I wanted to pass those tips along just in case they could help anyone not get sick. I prefer using the diluted Isopropyl on dishes, but the other is what I have in the house right now, so I use that. Either one works fine as long as it's diluted well (less than one tsp to a quart of water or spray bottle), and rinse well.
@luvstochat (6917)
• United States
21 May 08
I think it makes since that if you don't get all the dishsoap washed off your dishes it would make you sick. You would never open a bottle of dish soap and just drink it so it would not be good to not get it rinsed off your dishes. I have never heard of using rubbing alchohol on dishes. I hate it when people do dishes in cold water I always think how is that rinsing off dishsoap you need hot water to get it all off.
@kenzie45230 (3563)
• United States
21 May 08
I remember my dad telling me when I was just a kid that not rinsing the dishes properly would result in an upset tummy. I thought he was joshing until I was older and it happened. For me now, though, chemicals of all kinds make me sick. I'm so sensitive to everything...with my fibromyalgia. I like the idea of dilluting the dish soap. Thanks for the suggestion.