How do alcohols affect living beings

May 27, 2008 4:31am CST
when large quantities of ethanol are consumed. it tends to slow metabolic processes and to depress the central nervous system. This results in lack of coordination, mental confusion, drowsiness, lowering of the normal inhibitions, and finally stupour The individual may feel relaxed but does not realise that his sense of judgement sense of timing and muscular coordination have been seriously impaired. Unlike ethanol, intake of methanol in very small quantities can cause death. Methanol cells. It causes the proptoplasem to get coagulated in much the same way an egg is coagulted by cooking. Methanol also affects the optic nerve, causing blindness. for industrial use, it is made unfit for drinking by adding poisonous substances like methanol to it dyes are also added to colour the alchohol blue so that it can be identified easily. This is called denatured alcohol.
No responses