At what age should I take my infant to the beach?

I just had my first baby in May and I would like to take him to the beach but he is a fussy baby and still pretty small. I don't want to take him in the water and he gets some kind of infection from it. I'll take him to my mother-in-laws private pool next weekend if it's nice but the beach is a different story. What are your views on this? Am I being over-protective?
I dont think you are being over protective at all. You have to be careful at the pool as well though. Even with sunblock on, and infants skin can be very easily sunburnt. Plus they overheat and dehydrate very easily, their tiny bodies can not cool off as well as the rest of us. I would say 30 min in the sun is more than enough for an infant of that age. I did not take my kids to the ocean, until they were at least two, but that was my preference.