1099 employee

May 25, 2006 2:43pm CST
I am paid commision only. I am getting W2 because my employer says that those are the rules. I am looking for information regarding what constitutes being able to be 1099.
4 responses
• United States
13 Feb 11
Hello wesley 1099 are issued specifically when you are considered an independent contractor and not an employee. If your employer is not hiring independent contractors I am afraid you can not opt for this. Being a regular hourly/salary employee, hence gets you a W2 in which you were deducted taxes and at the end of the year you will be claiming deductions and perhaps getting a refund. Being an independent contractor you are responsible for paying your quarterly taxes and end of the year taxes. Either route it is best to contact your accountant/financial tax preparer who can best advice you as to which route would be best. As for your question though, it is up to your employer to assign which pay scale/title is best for his end of tax year preparations. You cannot pick and choose in this area as an employee. Best of luck to you.
• United States
10 Sep 11
I suspected the same but thought that if I could place a helpful response that maybe some day someone searching with the same type of question that they may find my response to be helpful.
@CHASHA (483)
• India
17 Nov 06
i think ur employee good and ok
@Andy77 (432)
• United States
5 Aug 06
In the U.S., if you make more than $600. per year from any employer, you will receive a 1099 statment so you can file your taxes. This applies if taxes have been taken out or not.
@sedel1027 (17854)
• United States
3 Aug 06
You only get a 1099 if your employes does not take takes out of your check. When you are contract only making commission and your employer does not take taxes out of your checks, you would be responsbile for paying said taxes on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis.