My BabyDaddy wants me to start over on the child support......

@Lxandra79 (1536)
United States
July 30, 2008 1:09am CST
He wasn't there for my son for 6 son is now 8 years old, I put child support on him when my son was 1 and between the times when he wasn't there...he got paid under the table so he wont pay child support. Now since October of last year he has been seeing my son every weekend, he says he has changed...I kinda believe him....but not that much:| Well just the other day he told me, pretty much asked if I can start over on the child support cuz he owes me $9000 and he cant get a loan to buy a first i was like 'hellz no' cuz all that time ive waited for him to pay me! and my son only gets $210 a month....dont u think that sucks!? So I have decided for him to pay me 5000 and to forgive and forget... Now i want opinions on see if I'm making the right decision.
2 people like this
3 responses
@relundad (2311)
• United States
30 Jul 08
Hopefully he has changed and it now ready to face his obligations. I must tell you that for over 18 yrs I have worked in the mortgage industry and this is a classic story. Fathers will skip out on their kid for years as the child support racks up. They finally start the process for homeownership and realize that the delinquent child support has a major impact on their credit. And are given the choice of either clearing the debt or making payment arrangements with the delinquent child support in order to get want they want which is the house. Typically you have to show a history of this being done, normally between 6 and 12 months of payments. So unfortunately when most of them appear to be doing the right thing, it really is just the right thing for them and still not out of obligation for their child. And for the record he also had no choice but to start being paid reportable funds like everyone else because he would have had to show reportable income for a minimum of 2 years. To make a long story short, he probally has changed. I'm just not sure it was for the benefit of his child. He has just reversed his energy and plan, probally. Before he went out of his way to avoid paying child support and now he has to do it in order to get what he wants, a house. I think that if he has truly changed he will admit that he dissed his obligations for all of these years and would or should be willing to pay the money back. I would not be so eager to disregard the debt. Your son waited 6 years, why can't he?
@markrobb (76)
• United States
30 Jul 08
I think you should tell them to take out a loan for the full amount. And give him back 4000. this will accomplish many things. He gets to buy the house, you get your money, and he gets a break on the total amount.
1 person likes this
@reckon21 (3487)
• Philippines
30 Jul 08
Men sometimes are not good with responsibility. Where is he for six years? Not a good father,huh? As for me you are making the right decision. Go for it.