How do you feel about patriotism?

@eztuner (451)
By definition Patriot is: A person who loves, supports, and defends his or her Country and its interest. Nowadays this quality is kind of missing in some countries around the globe. With the threat of a Cold war in the horizons (hopefully); As long as they keep TALKING, the rest of the world may remain with hopes of peace. The recent events in Georgia, the coments of The European Union, Chavez in Venezuela declaring his permission for a coming Russian military base, and welcoming their floats to HELP KEEP PEACE in the zone! I Have to ask my self, been a foreing, in my country of residence Dominican Rep. a tourist with Interests in USA. How much of a Patriot Iam? And so many Millions of people like me, Around the world, How does Patriotism works nowadays? Would I defend my country of residence? Would I defend my Means of living? Would I defend FREEDOM? Just a thoght, I wanted to share with my Lot community.....
@sataness (321)
Depends on the lengths you go. Some take being patriot to the extreme of killing whilst others silently support their country and beliefs. I know here in England they are actually trying to 'prevent english pupils becoming patriotic'. Direct quote from the newspaper after charges are put against people being too patriotic. And yet without the minority of us being patriotic we would lose the essential morals and beliefs that build us as a country and as a unit of the human race. Now they are changing all our bases and even considering accepting laws of other countries.. if your in england or seen the newspaper here you would know about the Bishops idea to include islamic law for muslims and english law for english... Its ridiculous on how they would seperate people and punishment based on race. Being patriotic helps to establish our own morals and keeps our faith even when the government constantly seem to make wrong decisions. Without it we'd fall apart.
@eztuner (451)
sataness, I think that exactly, the lack of teaching to our youth the proper way to exersice the sentiment of patriotism, is what has open the doors for all the extremist to easily infiltrate our societies all over the world. The absence of this essential morals, ethics and responsabilities is what are making us to fall apart! Thanks for taking the time to give it a thought!
Also Sataness, Out of interest, from which Newspaper do you quote above? And I must take issue with what appears to be your understanding of Archbishop Dr. Rowan Williams' lecture. Here is the original text of the lecture: www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/1575 Please go one better than it would seem most of the news journalists who wrote the articles at the time bothered to, and actually read the original document before castigating the man.
@sataness (321)
'crafting a just and constructive relationship between Islamic law and the statutory law of the united kingdom '
@IsisGreen (555)
Sataness, "... with a few thoughts about what might be entailed in crafting a just and constructive relationship between Islamic law and the statutory law of the UK". (Archbishop Dr Rowan Williams) This is not a call to have "Islamic law for Muslims and English law for the English [sic.*]". (Sataness) * Who are the English? I understand this to mean people who live in England, including English Muslims. Please clarify. "...separate people and punishment based on race." (Sataness) My understanding of what Archbishop Dr. Rowan Williams says is that people should have a choice of an arbitration court as fits their beliefs. It is nothing to do with race, and is certainly not imposed on anybody on those grounds. Rowan Williams himself makes the point about this issue affecting more than just those of the Muslim faith. He cites in particular Judaism. He is not advocating favouring Islam in the slightest. I at no stage wished to accuse you of being unwilling to embrace [other] cultures. I'm sorry if I gave the impression of this. The post where I mention this was not in response to anyone in particular, merely stating my views on the topic. The "ba ba rainbow sheep" articles I remember well. I should point out that the schools involved said as part of an 'active learning' exercise they changed the words on rotation to extend vocabulary, using happy, sad, jumping, fluffy, sleeping etc. However I agree with you on the ridiculous imagined sensitivity to things like this. Every time these stupid stories get published the first in line to say how ridiculous they are, are members of the minority groups they are imagined to offend. And for the prevalence of such stories, the mass media, and especially those newspapers owned by Rupert Murdoch (ALL of the ones you mention above incidentally!), must take much of the blame. In their quest to write paper-selling headlines they deliberately twist and manipulate stories to maximise readership outrage.
@sataness (321)
Lol, well my apologies if i offended anyone... and my main problem with the ba ba black sheep rymn was the change in vocab originally.. because initially it was going to be changed to 'rainbow sheep' which rather boldy highlights the changed word and weird reasoning behind it; as well the story of the Three Little Pigs being discontinued. Going back to the initial discussion, i wasn't intentionally penalising that person, it was the thought process behind the comments being discussed in parliament and with that bishop that made me overreact i guess, i really dislike the idea of inequality and the mass media spread was wrongly placed close to a story about a muslim that was conning thousands of pounds our of government (so eventually taxpayer) as he started preaching hate of britain, i could lead on to say that around the same time there was a massive spread also about the government members and the way their money is used. So i have to agree on the overexageration within newspapers who tend to lead minds down a specific twisted path as i only just recently discovered (much to my shame). It was also then taught in an R.E Gcse lesson earlier this year, about what he was 'supposedly' planning to do (the bishop that is) in suggestions of combinin 2 sets of laws. I have to still say though, even with full more trueful information on that particular case, that we need to figure and weed out the laws still present due to their lacking in substance and in the failing of people being brought to justice of crimes commited. I didn't mean to specifically draw out muslims either, so i apologise for that, i meant to point out how the governments favouritism is dangering people, meaning the early recruitment of people who havent recieved the full qualification here but are rather being hired under impressions that they can pay them cheaper etc etc (personal experience here so no reference). Thank you for highlighting my blatant errors lol and i hope ive cleared some things up.