Forums being Private?

How do you feel about forums being private? Do you think that it hurts the forums with getting new members by being private? Should there be certian places on the forum that should remain open to guest, like a news section or a place for them to post and ask questions? what are your thoughts about this?
I think it realy depends on the forum and what it is set up for. I have a forum myself, and i can tell you that the entire forum is locked until your membership is approved. The reason for this on my forum anyway, is because its a group of people who are close. WHile i do approve new membership, i dont let just anyone on the board. your membership has to be approved. That way its easier to keep track of who everyone is, not to mention we have personal information on the board that shouldnt be available for anyone to see. If it is a general forum, then i could see maybe one or 2 sections being set to private.
That is exactly how our board is set up right now. Www.worldformoms.com. But the thing that worries me is it hendering the new members coming in.
i also think that is something to think about... on another website i was looking at they had different levels of "members" based on how long you had been with them, and only certain forums were open to the "older" members, and then the younger members had a place to post their questions in a section also.