Security or Privacy

@sk66rc (4261)
While I was responding to another discussion about a cell phone, a question just popped in my head. Which would you prefer more, security or privacy? Reason why I ask is because I know that the government has a word recognition programs in place out there that while listening to millions & millions of conversation at once, they can recognize certain words by risk factor & can be copied & sent to homeland security to be analized for the possible threat. Just like any computer softwares, even though highly unlikely & improbable, there's always a risk with someone hacking into a system & tune into a ceratin phone number & invade someone's privacy. For example, few years back, Paris Hilton's cell phone was hacked into & some phone numbers of the celebrities were made to be known in public. Who's to say this can't happen to someone who's in charge of Home Land security? If some terrorist can get a hold of a cell phone number of some important people here in U.S., or any other country, who happened to be in charge of country's security, then from there, gets into his/hers personal home address, get information of other important people's information through the content of that person's cell phone , etc, etc, you get the idea. So, are you willing give up part or most of your privacy to insure security of your home, neighborhood, city, state & ultimately, your country? Or is your privacy more important? I know there "should" be some steps out there that we can insure both but that argument aside, which is more important?
@rowantree (1190)
Security is the most important to me. While I don't want just anyone listening in to my phone conversations, if it's the government doing so, then I don't mind a bit. I trust that they won't tell my MIL what I say about her cooking and won't think badly of me when I confess that I wasn't really sick when I didn't show up to the neighbor's jewelry party.
@jhl930 (3605)
i would rather have privacy i mean i don't understand why they want to listen to our conversations and i understand they think they will help but seriously if you are going to be a terrorist, you aren't going to get on a cell phone and tell people that you are a terrorist and what you are going to do and when you are going to do it, you would do that in person right? i just don't understand it honestly!