Why does it lose its charge so quickly?

I have a laptop which is on charge a lot as when it is off charge the battery or whatever only lasts about 30mins. Last night I was up with my son while he went to sleep and I'd only been up there for about 30mins or so and my laptop went dead, this morning it has done the same. I wouldn't mind but it on charge most of the day and in sleep mode so really in my mind it should hold its charge better. It is insured so do you think I should phone and tell them what is happening?
@jewilim (495)
I think there might be something wrong with your battery if you have been using yur laptop for quite a long time. Or another possibility might also be that you just lack time to charge it so that it could fully charge. I think it would also take some time to charge up its battery because the ususal laptop could usually stay on for a couple of hours or more. It would also be a good idea to contact your vendor about your problem incase your laptop really might have some factory defect in it, they might also consider replacing it with a new one. I think its expensive to have a laptop and if you spend a lot just to buy it you should really get your money's worth.