Blogging and Spam

Blog - Holy Blog!
@fwidman (11515)
I have been away for a week, visiting my son and attending his wedding. Imagine my surprise to come back to find my mailbox filled with comments on my blogs. It all looked good as I scanned through roughly 500 emails. But, that was last night. Today, as I sifted through the emails I noticed that 99% of those comments were spam, and not just your usual visit my site type of spam, but fancily written spam that, I fear, once the links were clicked on, my readers computers would never work properly again I don't mind the occasional bits of spam my blogs generate, but this was ridiculous! I deleted all of it, but there is still more coming in, in bits and pieces. I wouldn't be shocked to find that at the other end of this spam is a machine. So, all of you that blog, has this ever happened to your blog? What did you do about it, other than just delete the comments?
Spam is really disgusting! Well, you can try downloading and installing the Akismet comment and trackback anti-spam plugin so you don't have to worry about spam again. It's free for personal use. For more details, go to this site http://find.com/akismet and start from there. Good luck!
@fwidman (11515)
Thanks for the link! I appreciate the help
@cooiky (548)
yes,akismet is good for anti-spam. you can use it almost anywhere. and they have a database of spam usernams or emails or websites. you can also submit one site you think it is a spam to akisment.
@ShellyB (5243)
I do not know, I have other things that will not let them spam me badly. That is what I hope really.
@fwidman (11515)
Well, I know your blog will not get spammed. We deleted it, remember?
@ShellyB (5243)
sighs~ there you go again tattle telling gee! LOL one for the road
Well, I have never recieved such comments. You can try to enable Comment Moderation or Image Verification for some time on your blog. This will reduce spam.
@fwidman (11515)
The admins fixed the problem I would never add the image verification gizmo because I don't like that crazy thing myself
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
You can download a simple software such as Pop Peeper where you can read the headline a piece of text from the messages. You can decide whether you want to read or delete the email before downloading it. © ronaldinu 2008
@fwidman (11515)
No need. The admins read my blog post about all that spam and added some software to the site that automatically deletes such replies
Hi fwidman, I hope you had a lovely time at the wedding, its is awful to get all the spam mail, wish there was someting to stop the happening, I don't have any problems with mine as I don't have any blog page. Good luck with clearing you in-box. Tamara
@fwidman (11515)
I had a great time, but I am happy to be home The inbox is all cleared out, finally!
@kerriannc (4280)
• Jamaica
Hello dear fwidman, how was the wedding, I hope you brought a slice of cake for meSpamming is really getting out of hand. Don't your blog have a set up that you can avoid these. The lady that I am contract to work with well hers is always spamm free and I am always wondering how this happen. I am going to ask her and get back to you. She used Word Press. Welcome back you were missed.
@fwidman (11515)
The wedding was wonderful Sorry but there was no cake left to bring back. I didn't even eat any at the reception, but I did eat a piece of cake at my sons house the next day. I am not much of a cake person. Thanks for welcoming me back. I missed this place and the people here
That's all you can do is delete the spam.
@fwidman (11515)
I don't mind deleting the spam, i just wish they'd find another blogger to pester. I got ten more pieces today