How do you get rid of worms in Cats? Any Natural Remedies? And how do they.....

How do you get ride of worms in Cats and are there any natural remedies and how do cats get them? My cat I think has worms but I'm not a 100 percent sure. I though I seen something white coming out of his butt but I haven't seen anything in his stool. So I'm wondering if I should still treat him. Also I was wondering are there any natural remedies? My sister told me to give him garlic because it will kill worms. Have you heard of such a thing or do you know of another product that is all nautral? How how do indoor cats get worms? I was talking with my vet and the only way I can think of how he got worms is from bringing them in on are shoes. So when he walks around he steps on them and then when he cleans himself he gets them. But than again I'm not a 100 percent sure on that either. So if you can answer any of these questions taht would be great! And I'd great appreciate it!