Making notes while reading a book

@lopium (33)
Portugal
Do you make them? If you do, you do it in all the kind of books? Or just in a specific kind? Another thing, why do you do it? And how? In a separate sheet of paper, or in the side margin of the book? If you don't, did you ever tried to? And if so, with what purpose? Greetings From Portugal, lopium
@Lexus656 (672)
I do make notes when I am reading my school books. I just add some sticky notes or even write in the margin. I don't however take notes it i am reading a book for pleasure. Most of the time I can remember witouth notes but I am a psychology major and sometimes all those big words can get mixed up so I try to put them on notecards that way I can use them for like a flashcard game and it helps me to gett them all down.
@snowcat46 (2322)
I just can't write in books. I can't fold down a page to remember where I'm at either. I take notes on a separate piece of paper or into a notebook, but I treat books like they're sacred. Silly, I know. But I love the written word. When I'm rereading something, I don't want bits of writing on the side to distract me. Or if I buy a used book, it really irritates me to see highlighting or notes written on the side. Flash cards are great for helping one to remember things.
@Lexus656 (672)
Yea I can understand that I used to be the same way BEFOR I had my son lol I can't keep him out of things. He's almost two and wants to touch evyerhting so if I did not write in my school books such as my college psychology book there is a chance that I may not ever get my notes. It's just one of those things that I guess you have to adapt to.
@Cannonball (3635)
• France
I would do that if I find a quote interesting or just cute. I would also do it if the writer mention about another writer or artist I would be interested in. Beside this, you make me think that while I read a book sometimes what I read will make think about something else, most of the time an past event of my own life, I suppose it has something to do with my subconscious and this is certainly related to the thing I'm reading at this precise moment some ways. In this case, I would also take a note of it.
@makingpots (11922)
If they are my own books, yes I will use pencil to make notes to myself in the margins. Some of my collectible books I woont write in. But I like to make notes as I read so I will have sticky note pads available to make notes I want to remember.
@Porcospino (19776)
• Denmark
Sometimes I take notes when I am reading, it depends what kind of books I am reading. I don't usually write much in my books, as I find it too confusing, but I might underline a few of the important words or paragraphs. When I am studying for an exam I take lots of notes, but I always use a separate notebook. I have developed my own system, and it works very well for me. I use questions and answers in my notes (I ask questions and I answer them) and I can be very systematic.
@GADHISUNU (2164)
I do not make notes if I am reading fiction for just entertainment. If I am asked to read fiction to make a review of the book or that is a prescribed textbook for a course, then yes, I make notes. But notes will be made whenever I read a non-fiction book esp when the subject matter of the book interests me, even if I am not reading them for academic purposes. But marking interesting portions to be re-read does happen. However earlier in my life I never used to even mark my book with a pencil or markers.Nowadays I do that. When I read a book that presents controversial ideas however I write copious observations in the margins. Like one book that I have written too much in the margins was "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. Here the notes are supposed to bring out my "differences" with whatever is presented. In textbooks, when I mark and write marginal notes, they more often than not in appreciation of the style of presentation, or rarely pointing the errors I notice(I see more errors in computer programming books than in conventional technical books like Control Systems.
hi there, lopium.. greetings from the philippines! i remember back in college, my favorite subject was philosophy.. my book was filled with lots of notes on the margins and my notebook on the subject was really packed. i don't do it in all the books i read. i usually keep a journal where i jot down some nice quotations or learnings. one thing that i also do to remember useful notes from what i've read is to write them on index cards. to this day, i still keep notes on what i read from the Bible. my day isn't complete without reading and meditating on Scripture. happy myLotting!