dazed and confused

United States
June 16, 2009 11:49am CST
i just moved to ohio from pennsylvania i moved with my boyfriend he is from here and i lived here about 8 years ago and met him we left to go to pa, we decided to come back here and we moved in with his mom i love his mom with all my heart but she treats him like a baby she calls him her baby boy and serves him his dinner and fills his drinks he is 38 years old we don't spend time alone that doesn't bother me but when we both try and go out to the bar the movies anywhere she says fine go but i am not cooking anymore or anything she is in her 60's and i do understand she is lonely her boyfriend is now in a assisted living but he is going to a nursing home neither me nor my boyfriend wants to hurt her feelings cause as i said she is a great lady i love her like she was my own mom but how can we tell her nicely that he is not a baby anymore and we need some space also please help i am at the end of my rope and i am about to give up and 11 yr relationship and go back to pa alone hope you can help
1 response
@ravinskye (8242)
• United States
16 Jun 09
Maybe you need to find her a new man lol. She is probably just lonely, but that doesn't make it right that she lays guilt trips on you to keep you home with her. If she threatens not to cook anymore then calmly tell her that is okay, you can help with the cooking. And tell your boyfriend to get off his butt and fill his own drinks. The more he lets her do stuff for him the more he enables her and makes her "mother" both of you guys when you obviously are adults. Make time to do special things with her so that when the two of you want to go out alone she is content.