Walking for weight loss.

I have a question about walking for weight loss. My walking buddy belive the theory of walking distance is what helps you lose weight best versus my theory that it is the speed at which you walk that matters. So could you help me figure this one out? which matters most in ultimate weight loss: speed or distance?
yes, of course, i would wake up then take warn up exercises and walked almost two to three kilometers from home and . i did before for one month and i loose two pounds because i haven't practice my diet yet... probably on how much you sweat, what's with speed if you don't sweat and loose calories
@Trensue (5256)
The answers are all over the board on this one. I think intervals cover both issues. Walk the distance and do short spurts of speed. Than whichever it turns out to be - you are covered. My husband swears by slow and steady wins the race. Good luck. Having a walking buddy can certainly help any program.